Mechanic says I need a new engine...

jeepohn1980

Need some quick advice so I can go to battle with my local Jeep dealership. My 07 Grand Cher, broke down on the highway this past week. The service department at my dealership says the waterpump stopped working which caused the engine to overheat and in the end seize up completely. They're saying I need a whole new engine, and estimating the out of pocket cost at $8,000.

Two questions. Is this a realistic quote for parts and labor? Secondly, what if I can't or don't want to hand over 8 grand. How much can I hope to get by selling a 07 Grand Cher in need of a new engine?

By the way, there's only 56k miles on the original engine.

shouldn't there still be a warranty on it or has it expired. what motor do you have? the 3.7 or the 5.7? I would look around at different shops and get quotes because 8,000 seems too much, but it is a dealership.

I completely agree here. A dealership is probably going to be the most expensive place to get anything done. Definitely shop around. You can get a used motor on your own and have it installed by someone for much cheaper.

I'd take a shot at rebuilding it in the dark with a hard rain and a leaky roof before I'd give $8000. But I'm a cheapskate though, maybe that's the going rate. Seems awful high.

If the water pump quit working...didn't you have any warning light or gauge indicating that the engine was overheating?

Might also want to get a second (non-dealership) opinion.

Larry

If the water pump quit working...didn't you have any warning light or gauge indicating that the engine was overheating?

Might also want to get a second (non-dealership) opinion.

Larry
x2. I know excessive heat will kill your engine, but i would assume that with coolant still in the motor it would take a long time, unless part of the water pump going out is the seals leaked and all your coolant leaked out.

another new jeep v6 kicks the bucket.

the replacement used motor for our liberty cost 1700 to get from tennessee and then 500 to have a buddy install it.

Back