Got to break in the 35s today.

Jason4x4

Had my first wheelin' trip on the 35's today. I went up with a friend to a spot in southeast York County, PA called "Trails Road".

It's technically a public road that is in extreme disrepair. You start out turning off the pavement between a couple houses (one of which belongs to an older lady who doesn't like people driving down there but it IS legal). Just past the houses is a spot where you can pull over and disconnect swaybars and what not. Then you go down the hill which is kinda rutted and rocky. You come out at a river and have to navigate a blue-green level rock garden to get around to the next section of "road", which contains a couple mud pits. You finally make your way about 1/4 mile or so to a "play area" that has a decent mud pit and several small hill climbs and off camber spots to mess around in. You can drop down by the river and mess around and try and crawl up the creek if you're feeling dangerous. Finally after you're done you can climb out the other end which is really rocky and has one really tricky spot. You can't go up the middle of the road without lockers and some lift, but there are more greenish lines around the sides to get by. Just past this obstacle is the paved road.

It's no Rausch Creek but it's free, it's a public road so it's legal, and it's a good place if you want to get your Jeep muddy and play around with your 4WD for a couple hours. It's real close to the Maryland line. If anyone reads this and is thinking about checking it out, be aware that the older lady mentioned above has been known to come out and yell at people entering the 'trail', and I've heard rumors of someone burying boards with nails in them in the mud to try and keep people out, but we didn't have any issues today (this was my first time there).

Anyway, I didn't air down but I did disconnect my swaybar. There's not a real great place to air back up (I don't have OBA), so I decided not to mess with it. The 35's still worked great, but they would've rode a lot nicer and performed better with less than my standard 24psi in them ;). I didn't have any rubbing issues and helped me clear a lot of things that would have given me problems in the past. Unfortunately my wife forgot the camera so I didn't get any pictures. If anyone in the area wants to know exactly where this place is located, let me know and I can give you exact directions.

dang, i was waiting for you to say you were going to post pics till that last line

I've owned my TJ for 5 years. This place is 35-40 minutes or so from here, and I had never heard of it before. I don't know how that happened.

Back