Doors question

Warwick2008

Hello everybody. I just recently bought my first Jeep. Unlimited model with the four doors. A few days after getting it, I took the doors off. Sadly, we had a bad storm recently, and I had to put the doors back on. Man, I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but it was a chore getting those doors back on. Heavy, cumbersome, and awkward. Could any of you more experienced Jeepers offer up any advice on an easier way to put the doors back on? 1st post for me. Thanks guys!

mine are a pain to put on also. you have to hold them a certain way and make sure they are open past a certain point so they don't hit the rain gutter, and this is on an 87 so i guess some things don't change

i wish i could take my doors off but i would just have an annoying dinging sound that would never go away.

Welcome to Jeepz!

Heavy, cumbersome, and awkward.
That pretty much sums it up. I usually have the window down and hold the top of the window frame from underneath with my right hand and guide the door with my left by holding the mirror bracket. I usually don't have too hard a time guiding the pins into the holes doing it that way.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm getting my bikini top and trail cover tomorrow so looking forward to going doorless and topless again!

They are heavy and cumbersome, and I always seem to do it wrong the first time I try to put them back on each year. Stand on the outside (paint side) of the door, and like Todd said, have the window rolled down.

I have one door where the threaded part on the lower hinge is broken off, and the result is that it's much easier to get this door on. I get the top hinge in place, lower it down a quarter inch and work the bottom in. I may do the same thing to the other door.

All this talk of putting the doors on, I'd like to take mine off... Is there a trick to getting the nuts off without scratching the paint off the nuts? Or am I worried about something that can't be avoided?

I don't think that you can take them off without killing the paint (on the nuts). You'll probably never put the nuts back on though, as they don't serve much purpose (keep your doors on if you roll?).

I guess I need to just bite the bullet and lose the doors and the nutz and be done with it! Being as we got the Jeep primarily as a tow vehicle for our RV, it's not likely to be anywhere where the nuts will be needed even if the doors are on. Can't see them bouncing off as long as the doors are closed...

I think the nuts are mainly a theft deterrent system but as long as you lock the doors at night, no one can lift them off and take them while you sleep

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

My pins are broke and the threads r gone.So even if I had the nuts no where to put them.As far as them being a theft deterrent.With the doors locked,unzip windows,unlock door.A little grease on the pins will help the next time you try to take them off.

i have full hard doors and hard top so no unzipping for me. i understand your point though for soft top guys

Back