Best place to buy a used jeep???

jcianciolo

I am starting to look for a new jeep as my 1998 cherokee sport is on its last legs. I live in Boston and looking for the best place in terms of service, stock and honesty. I am looking for something in the range of a 2008 grand cherokee.

Thanks,
Jared

Every dealer wanted about 3000 more than the private parties where I live. I ended up finding one in the local paper at a good price.

Look in the paper, craigslist, autotrader, and even ebay local (they let you list your Jeep locally for free, so you can sometimes find good deals. I'd suggest you not buy it through ebay though, just use that to contact the owner).

Craig's List. With the savings over a dealer, hire a good mechanic to check out the Jeep you think you want to buy. And then use the remaining savings to buy something you know you'll want, like a CB, new tires, lift, locker....this will no doubt be something you'll want.

Car dealers go to great extent to cover up past hard use. Sure, there is some risk on Craig's List, but IMO, the risk is much, much less than at dealers given the cost savings.

I found mine on Autotrader. It seemed most of what appeared to be great deals on Craig's List were all scams. Someone deployong to Afganistan and has to see, but the vehicle is on the west coast even though it's being advertised on the east coast! But hey, they're willing to ship it to you after you send them the money! Yea, it's amazing the number of these ads that appear daily...

Not saying they aren't on AutoTrade either, but it sure seemed the majority of the ads on AutoTrader were legit. We found a clean 2004 TJ X for about $6K under retail! The other nice aspect of AutoTrader is you can apply filters to the search and limit the search to specific years, if you're only interested in manual transmission, 6 cyl engine, 2 door, under XX,000 miles, etc... Saves having to look through tons of listings with vehicles you're not really interested in.

I to was looking at dealerships thinking they would give it a good looking over and fix stuff that was in need of fixin, but the premium they want you to pay for that far out prices what it will take to do it your self or pay an independent mechanic.

After I purchased mine, I spent $100 and had it professionally detailed (looked just like it would have if it were siting on a Dealer's lot). I also had to replace the Heater Block Resistor because the fan only worked on the 2 highest settings, but that was a $20 part at AutoZone. I've not had to do anything else to it since and I'm very happy with the Jeep!

Autotrader is a good place to look for deals, I personally don't like c-list that much, if I do find something I like I always bring a buddy with me because you never know how shady it'll be when you go to look at something. That being said I found my 04 at a dealership, I checked the book value and everything, 04 wrangler x 4.0 5spd 4wd 64,000 miles, they were asking 15k which private value around here is 15k on it and retail was 17-18k. They were willing to fix anything on it that I found on it. I also traded in my superduty so I got the price down even more altho they didn't quite give me exactly what I thought was a good enough price for my truck but I also knew what all needed fixed on it and the body was literally going to hell. Just keep looking, there are great deals out there, I've seen a lot of deals in my area.

Attachments

• image-1619021502.png
    image-1619021502.png
    806.9 KB · Views: 565
Back