Homemade Roof Rack - Building opinions

JeepMonkey

So I've been thinking about building my own roll bar mounted roof rack. Aside from all the obvious concerns (i.e. weight distro, high CG....), are there any concerns about using square or round tubing without bending the corners? To clarify, I don't have a tube bender and I'm just curious if it makes a difference if I make the corners more of a right angle by joining the pieces at the corners?

Take a look at this site. They should have some opinions as far as roof racks go.
Expedition Portal Forum

So I've been thinking about building my own roll bar mounted roof rack. Aside from all the obvious concerns (i.e. weight distro, high CG....), are there any concerns about using square or round tubing without bending the corners? To clarify, I don't have a tube bender and I'm just curious if it makes a difference if I make the corners more of a right angle by joining the pieces at the corners?

For the application your working with, i wouldn't worry about the way the corners are formed. IF i was doing this project, i would make sure that the platform and lower frame is enough to handle the weight of what you intend to carry and make the upper frame work light. I would use square tubing, heavy gauge for the lower frame if it's under 1inch square.

Back