Check out this camo paint job and my stuck son! hehehehe tug

Tug-n-pull

I spent some time this past week working with my son "Will" on his little ford Ranger takeing off junk cleaning it up a bit and adding a new Camo Paint Job. This was our first attempt and it turned out ok. $75.00 in tape, sand paper, and rattle can Krylon Paint and this what we ended up with. We got it to this point and he was like OK hey dad lets go see if it works! So we did! Had a pretty day here high 60's. He not having much experence in the woods so far other than as a passenger did pretty well.

The Pics do not do justice for the trail it is a steep rutted slick mud climb about 300 yards long in a nice straight line up. Big drop off on one side and a bank on the other. Due to his inability to listen to dear ol dad he ended up stuck for the first time. We had a ball out there today. I wish all of you had been with us. Later Tug
image-missing.png

This is Will stuck
image-missing.png

This is Will very happy to be stuck!
image-missing.png

This is our trails near home.
image-missing.png

Another paint job angle not bad for a first time. Thanks for looking em over we had such a great day. I only wish you were all with us. Tug :-D

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Mar 09, 2003 - 11:49 PM[addsig]

tug that is simply awesome... is that a rattle can job, i want to do that to someting so bad
[addsig]

Tug,

That is really cool!! You are very fortunate to have a son will to get involved in your hobby and spend time together with that hobby![addsig]

I am glad to have him wanting to go play as he will get all grown up and gone soon. I am blessed to have two sons. I added a pic of Will does he look happy to be stuck to you? Tug [addsig]

That is a big smile!!! I just hope my son will be as willing to go out and play as yours, but I have a while to wait, he is only 18 months right now.[addsig]

WOW, that is a really nice lookin paintjob tug. you are very gifted. and tell your son to stop crying in the pictures :lol: :lol: i wish i had that much fun everytime i got stuck[addsig]

72cj5 it seems so long ago that I could hold Will and get down in the floor and play trucks and stuff yet it seems like just yesterday and we are still playing trucks. Enjoy that baby boy he will be a man before you can reckon.

Jeepmaster, Will is a cry baby aint he. He is hooked and it is better to have em hooked on the 4x4 thing than ricers or gangs or drugs or worse. I am proud of both my boys.

Far right does your wife have a car or something you can pratice on? hehehehe Tug :-D [addsig]

awesome pictures. love the view too. can never have too much fun when it comes to playing in the woods. glad to see you and Will hooking up for some quality father and son time.[addsig]

It's great to know that you and your son have this sport in common. My dad and I do the also... Every sunday is our day to go out into the trails. I love it because its really the only time I get to spend with him. (Works alot). Wish we could of all been up there with you tug.[addsig]

by the way. Great job on the rattle can job. Im not so good with the ol' spray can camo method. Gave it a try once on a friends blazer and it didnt come out the way I wanted it to. Ended up painting it all one color. :p Good experiance though![addsig]

Dern good job Tug!!!!! And we sure dont have scenery like that down here in Da Swamp :-( But we have plenty of mud :cool: ...the times you spend with your sons is priceless....and you all will be better off for it..I know i will never forget the times i spent with my dad...And if i thought i could do half as good a job with the paint...i would paint my truck just like that :-D

Dawg[addsig]

Looks like you and Will had a great time! Also, nice paint! :cool: [addsig]

Hey Tug that is a killer paint job. How did you do it? Did you start with a base color? and did you guys free hand the designs tape them off or did you have a template? Anyway it looks great. :-O :-O [addsig]

there is about an inch of paint on the ranger hehehehe. We started off with a peeling clear coated with surface rusting Greyish colored cab and a Black (PASmokeater will like this) with red pin stripe bed in fair condition. We sanded the rused areas and preped with red primer. Then we taped off the parts we wanted to remain normal (very littel) Then ultra flat black on all the grill areas and around all the glass and inside the wheel wells between the cab and bed ect.... Then we just free handed the color on as we went.
I took some time to study the camo military schemes on the web. Mostly modle builders sites and one really cool VW paint job called a Jeep Killer of all things. heheehe I painted over the previous colors more than I care to think about. There is a bunch of coats on there. This week end we are going to wet sand the runs and over spray off a bit and do a fianal touch up.
He washed the mud of today and the paint is still there so I think it will be ok. tomorow after the school day ends we will add a c.b. and his new Sony Stereo CD ect... The interior is pretty rough so off to the junk yard to find some new dash parts and a new seat.
This has been a really fun thing for us to do. When he bought the truck it was pretty awful, an old farm truck abused and re abused. He hated this thing for the most part and the school kids picked it apart but now they are calling it Cool! Today he told me "I got a pretty nice truck" Tug :-D [addsig]

I had a 85 ranger just like that, 2wd though, didn't stop me from stomping in some mud puddles though. Those were great times, paint looks great, have fun.[addsig]

Back