Extended oil filter - good idea?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I changed my oil yesterday, and went to get another Mobile 1 204 filter (the one recommended by the book at Advance Auto Parts) when I remembered reading about the Mobile 1 301 filter. The 301 is said to be the same as the 204, just longer, and should allow you to hold alittle more oil.

So, is having a slightly larger filter and more oil a good thing, or does this just give a larger target to tree limbs, or things that could damage the filter?

picture of both filters

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz.com app

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110912_212450.png
    ForumRunner_20110912_212450.png
    478 KB · Views: 246
Thats quiet a bit bigger.... I dont know but Im going to ask out Compressor Engineer tomorrow and see what he says on it.... Got me thinking now.

I've read on various jeep sites where a lot of people do run the bigger filters. Never have myself. Thought about it but just never think of it when I'm changing the oil.

Sent from my Droid using Jeepz

I run a larger filter on our Motorhome, it's got an 8.1L GM V8 in it. Theoretically, the larger filter provides more filter material for longer life (won't clog as quickly) and the higher volume of oil should allow the oil to run cooler, thus lengthening it's useful life. The filter I use on our Motorhome holds a full quart!

I hadn't considered a larger filter in the Jeep, but it appears there's ample room with low risk of being snagged, so I certainly can't see any harm in doing it...

Last edited:
I am the manager at a quick lube and we use recommended filter sizes although. .at the beginning of last yr pennzoil(which is the quick lube I work at) company switched from wat they call a pz34 on most chrysler engines to a pz019 such is skinnier but longer .. both have the same threads so when we see a 34 we now put a 19 on it because they no longer make the 34 but test showed they hold the same amount of oil. Now here's what most people don't know. .at a pennzoil meeting earlier this yr a n engineer told us after so long when the filter reaches max dirt capacity there is a valve inside the filter that doesn't allow oil to flow thru the filter so people that go longer than let's say 5000 miles on an oil change whether its syn or coventinal there just circulating dirty oil. So id say a bigger filter will help some get longer oil changes but not much.

For every gallon of gasoline burned an engine will produce up to 20lbs of carbon, 10 gallons of water vapor, 2 lbs of varnish and a reasonable amount of unburned fuel and corrosive acids, mix this all together over time and you have sludge. Nothing replaces a good ole oil change lol

For every gallon of gasoline burned an engine will produce up to 20lbs of carbon, 10 gallons of water vapor, 2 lbs of varnish and a reasonable amount of unburned fuel and corrosive acids, mix this all together over time and you have sludge. Nothing replaces a good ole oil change lol

Hmmm, I'm sure there's typo here, but if not, I'm going to start capturing that 10 Gallons of water and 20 lbs of Carbon for every gallon of gas I burn! Being as a 20 oz bottle of water costs about $1.50 and Gas is $3.50 a gallon, and there are 6.4 20 oz bottles of water in every gallon, that would mean I could make a pretty hefty profit driving around producing bottled water!

6 Bottles (just under 1 gallon) @ $1.50= $9.00 x 10 = $90.00 for every $3.50 spent! I'll be rich, and that's not even taking into account the money I'll make after I convert that carbon into coal and sell it! Not worth messing with the varnish, I'll just use that to refinish furniture...

Last edited:

Is bigger always better? While we might convince ourselves that's the case, it may not always be the case.

Sure, a bigger filter holds more oil, providing better cooling and the oil circulates less often. But a down side is slightly longer warm ups that may impact gas mileage and optimum oil flow.

My gut feeling on this one is that oil change frequency and oil change technique (Cold Vs Warm) is more important that filter size. The larger filter probably costs more too, and yeah, having the big one hang down into vulnerable territory could have its own costs too.

I change my oil after every really dusty and dirty hard trip, otherwise, just a bit sooner than recommended by Jeep based on mileage and time, and I used good oil. Using that approach I have never had an oil related engine problem, including gas powered engines that have gone over 200,000 miles.

Oil change is the single most important thing you can do BUT an oil change after every dusty trip isn't necessary. The only way dust is getting to your oil enough to hurt it is if your not using an air filter! Im not saying it s bad or wrong but todays oil is not the same oil it was 30, 20, even 5 years ago. There's no such thing as good oil or bad oil , there is a difference is syn and conv or an additive enriched oil like high mileage. But walmart syn is just as good as say mobil1 syn or amsoil. Same goes for conventional, All oil must be api certified to be sold in America. Bigger filters aren't going to make a noticeable difference on either side of the spectrum.

Also alot of us decide our service intervals by reading the manual. Most say like 7500 miles under normal driving conditions now days. .BUT hardly noone falls under "normal" driving conditions you gotta take stop and go, idle time, hills, speed limit, and tempatures etc ... into consideration. And if your a keeper then your driving conditions are def not "normal" lol unless your driving miss daisy a good rule of thumb is 3000 miles on conventional and 5000 with syn give or take a few hundred miles. Look at me iv turned this into a commercial lmao (OIIIIO)

my oil filter is horizontal on the side of the block, not hanging down into anything

Same here 4.0 . Had a wrangler in one time and it was in gear. My bottom tech was taking the filter off with a band wrench and grounded out on the starter hot cable and it was jolting him and the whole jeep was jumping forward. E verytime it would jolt him it would cause him to scream and jump and accedently hit it again. .lmao after a few he got his arm down and now takes the filter off from the top. .it was so funny luckily it didn't run out the shop

Back