Real Jeeps? your opinion please

armyjeep43055

I work in a auto parts store and get to meet alot of people,some of which are jeep owners.Having owned jeeps since 1978,i have been asked a few times over the years this question: "I heard some guy talking about REAL jeeps,Chic Jeeps,etc," so then they will always ask me what does that mean? what is a real jeep,chic jeep,manly jeep,on and on.My answer is always this: its a matter of opinion,BUT,in my mind a REAL JEEP has to have at the bare minimum:
1.A fold down windshield
2.A manual transmission
3.A inline engine,either 4 or 6 cyl
4.2 doors.
this doesnt mean my old 75 wagoneer isnt a real jeep,or my wifes cherokee sport isnt a real jeep.this just means in my humble opinion the WWII army issue jeep is the GOLD standard by which all others are judged,so i came up with this:

on a 1,000 point scale,deduct "manly" points for:
1.deduct 500 points for automatic trans
2.deduct 400 points for a/c
3.deduct 300 points for power windows/locks
4.more than 2 doors deduct 500 points

add manly points for:
1.dana 44 front AND rear add 300 points
2.dana 60's front and rear add 800 points
3.front AND rear spools add 500 points
4.front and rear REAL lockers(mechanical) add 200 points
5.no points for air lockers,but no deduction
6.add huge manly points if you drive your jeep with no top year-round,espescially if you live north of interstate 64.

a "CHIC" jeep of course is any liberty,compass,patriot,and maybe 80% of grand cherokee's....just my opinion..dont be hatin,lol

a "CHIC" jeep of course is any liberty,compass,patriot,and maybe 80% of grand cherokee's....just my opinion..dont be hatin,lol

Wow! You're opinion got stuck in the 50s! Just my opinion, don't be hating :lol:

I have to agree that any Jeep is a real Jeep - and the style needs to suit your purpose. I bought a 4-door JK - bigger than I originally wanted, but my whole family can enjoy it, and when we go off road then I can pack just about everything we need...or the dogs. And with its tires, we can get just about anywhere, whenever.

And I'm a chic.

A real Jeep is any Jeep
This is not true,here is a picture of a real jeep.

Attachments

• skyline drive,union springs trail 006.JPG
    skyline drive,union springs trail 006.JPG
    845.5 KB · Views: 321
20101004153226-1.jpg

this is the one i traded for my black one. its an auto and has ac and cruise, just like the black wrangler

here is another previous jeep, auto, ac, and cruise, plus power windows and locks

DSC00012-1.jpg

and here is our liberty. power everything, automatic, 2.5" old man emu lift, brushguard, limited slip, all skid plates

dsc02727-1.jpg

OVER 40 CHIC JEEP.....

89 YJ
4.2 straight 6
Weber carb
AUTOMATIC (column shift)
NO WINDOWS
No Door Locks
A/C ...
BIKINI or nothing ...
Leaf spring suspension
SOA (plus some;-) )
Dana 30/35 combo w/ 4.10s
44s on 17x14s
(2" billet adapters 5/4.5 to 6/5.5)
High Steer

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Drive it everyday... Unless I'm chasing serious vacuum leaks ;-)
Solid 9 MPG
No Armor... No Steps ...

image-1444163290.png

;-)

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

superj said:
this is the one i traded for my black one. its an auto and has ac and cruise, just like the black wrangler

here is another previous jeep, auto, ac, and cruise, plus power windows and locks

and here is our liberty. power everything, automatic, 2.5" old man emu lift, brushguard, limited slip, all skid plates

Here is that ZJ converted to a real Jeep.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111009_172242.png
    ForumRunner_20111009_172242.png
    662.9 KB · Views: 650
20101004153226-1.jpg

DSC00012-1.jpg

dsc02727-1.jpg
superj I"m sorry but of all your pictures, I seen one jeep,damn nice one to.I want to get an xj, because of the comfort factor and room,even though it says jeep on it. I dont really consider it a jeep. If I met you and we got to talking and you wanted to show me your jeep ,and you showed me an xj, I would be dissappointed,thats just my point of view.

OVER 40 CHIC JEEP.....

89 YJ
4.2 straight 6
Weber carb
AUTOMATIC (column shift)
NO WINDOWS
No Door Locks
A/C ...
BIKINI or nothing ...
Leaf spring suspension
SOA (plus some;-) )
Dana 30/35 combo w/ 4.10s
44s on 17x14s
(2" billet adapters 5/4.5 to 6/5.5)
High Steer

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Drive it everyday... Unless I'm chasing serious vacuum leaks ;-)
Solid 9 MPG
No Armor... No Steps ...

View attachment 10081

;-)

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]
bet you cannt follow me on a trail with your jeep.mines a 4 cyl.

Attachments

• skyline drive,union springs trail 003.JPG
    skyline drive,union springs trail 003.JPG
    842.5 KB · Views: 259

all the unibody jeeps have moved on from my family. all i have left is the yj.

we had tons of cherokees. those are super dependable comfortable jeeps. if amc didn't make that style of jeep in the 80s and start the suv fad, its very possible that jeep would've went out of business. those cherokees saved jeeps butt back in the day. don't they have the longest unmodified production run of any suv, 84-01? something like that, ha ha ha.

and that red grand cherokee was wrecked before i could install the lift. either hte lift was delivered the day before or the day after it got totalled. that jeep had the trans case swapped with one from a 91 wrangler so i could put it in two wheel drive because that full time 4x4 sucks. it had over 200k miles on it and we drove it to north carolina a time or two and all over texas. i was unhappy when it got hit but if that chick hadn't hit us, the car in front of us had a young girl driving with 5 kids in the back seat that weren't seat belted in and all of them were looking out the back window at us so the lady that hit us would've probably killed some of those kids. i will give up my good ol' zj for those kids to keep smiling and walking. i don;t know who they were but their eyes were big as saucers when that car plowed into us and we were sliding towards them. luckily i don't get up on people's bumpers at lights or we would've slid right into them. that chevy sst pushed us with me stomping the brake pedal because the lady driving feel asleep with the cruise control on and set to 60 (is the cop's estimate from the damage to my jeep and how far her little car pushed us) and we could still drive it off the road.

here is the pics of my poor zj at the tow yard:

dsc01717-1.jpg

dsc01719-1.jpg

dsc01720-1.jpg

dsc01721-1.jpg

dsc01723-1.jpg

dsc01725-1.jpg

dsc01726-1.jpg

the adjuster made the comment that it was shame it was wrecked because it was one of the cleanest 93 grand cherokees he had seen in a long time. interior was mint condition.

here is the car that hit us:

dsc01718-1.jpg

dsc01731-1.jpg

Thank goodness everyone made it out alive. Did anything happen to the driver who fell asleep?

This is not true,here is a picture of a real jeep.

I guess someone just slapped a Jeep badge onto this Mitsubishi then.

Attachments

• ZJ_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee.jpg
    ZJ_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4,595
Last edited by a moderator:
Back