Identify this car

Jesse

So I'm doing a project, and I am dealing with some older pictures and I wanted to identify a car in a picture. Anyone wanna help?

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 273
well it looks a little older than 1910 maybe 1905 due to the vertical camber looks more like a locomobile touring 1905ish or maybe a German car like the Tohho, same time.

Is that an air tank on the running board for an ARB air locker? I'm pretty good with older cars and the odd makes till you get to the 20's and before. I'm lost when ya get back that far.

I cant argue on the age but the reason i'm saying its a White is the design of the hood. Also, they put there emblem on the top corner of the grill and it looks like something is there on the pic but can't be sure and they had the steering wheel on the right side for a while.
I believe that tank would be the fuel tank?

flatie46 said:
Is that an air tank on the running board for an ARB air locker? I'm pretty good with older cars and the odd makes till you get to the 20's and before. I'm lost when ya get back that far.

I believe that's an acetylene tank for the headlights which were more like old miners helmets with torches attached.

If thats the case, i think it would put the car around the mid 1910's. I recently visited the Ford Piquette factory museum in Detroit, circa 1910. They have a lot of examples of cars on display from the period. Let me see if maybe they can help out.

Update: I emailed one of the guys there to see if he can help out. Let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Last edited:

My contact through the Model T Automotive Heritage Complex and Ford Piquette Plant (http://tplex.org/) got back to me today. He is 1000% sure it is not a Model T, although I think other responses indicated that we were pretty sure of that.

His response goes on to say that the car does have a certain design acetylene tank mounted on the running board (which is for headlights), so this car is probably 1912 to 1915, which I previously suggested as well. He is going to check with some other experts as well and get back to me. Interestingly, he pointed out that around this time there were over 2,000 automobile manufacturers, which is going to make a definite ID challenging.

Let you know if and when I hear anything more.

Last edited:
Its not a locomobile, even though they were only 4 cylinders they had a longer hood and the rear doors didnt have the 45o bottom angle (granted though I have only seen 2)

After looking closely at it, I'm pretty sure Clyde is right, the domed hood and and radiator shape matches the White touring car, this is a different year, but the radiator and hood are the closest I found, even though the cowl and fenders are different the leafs are the same.

On a side note, it may be an acetylene tank, but usualy they arent laying down as that makes the balast in the tank not work properly, acetylene tanks are almost always standing up (1.5 years selling them for Norco speaking there lol ) but acetylene was used for headlights, more commonly on motorcycles and buses though, that is why the industry standard designation for the sizes are still "Acetylene B" and "Acetylene MC" then Q, WQ. Y, M, and A

200682_White1917WebLarge-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for your efforts to identify this car! My family and myself greatly apprecaite you efforts.

Nothing new to report. My friend can't get a complete ID without more pics or different angles. There's just not enough detail. He still thinks it's 1911 to 1915 in terms of age. He offered a website that has a ton of photos - earlyamericanautomobiles.com as another resource.

Back