Jeep wave first time ever returned to me in wichita

ScubaDude

Yesterday I was driving and I saw a WWII jeep. Very cool looking. Excited I waved and he stuck his hand into a small pocket of visibility (top was up, small windows). He was stopped at a red light and turned onto the road I was driving on, same direction. as I was driving I could here it's engine just screaming to catch up to me. I dropped my speed by 5 mph and he came up beside me. He waved (insanely enthusiastically) at first I thought he was a little strange, I mean it was just a wave. He then patted child about 5 years old on the shoulder and pointed at me. The sun looked at me and waved shyly. I waved back as before and he smiled massively, at that moment they pulled into the local park. I was heading past the park but cutting through would still get me there so a followed. I didn't get out just stopped near them and complimented their rig. The man explained to me that I was like the fifth jeep his son waved at.... No response. Apparently I reinstalled his hope in the wave. YAY

Also no worries about driver safety, we were going like 25. Plus the driving part was spread out. Long story short, I thought the wave in Wichita was salvageable, people aren't even waving at WWII jeeps anymore. My happiness is dismayed.

Yesterday I was driving and I saw a WWII jeep. Very cool looking. Excited I waved and he stuck his hand into a small pocket of visibility (top was up, small windows). He was stopped at a red light and turned onto the road I was driving on, same direction. as I was driving I could here it's engine just screaming to catch up to me. I dropped my speed by 5 mph and he came up beside me. He waved (insanely enthusiastically) at first I thought he was a little strange, I mean it was just a wave. He then patted child about 5 years old on the shoulder and pointed at me. The sun looked at me and waved shyly. I waved back as before and he smiled massively, at that moment they pulled into the local park. I was heading past the park but cutting through would still get me there so a followed. I didn't get out just stopped near them and complimented their rig. The man explained to me that I was like the fifth jeep his son waved at.... No response. Apparently I reinstalled his hope in the wave. YAY

Also no worries about driver safety, we were going like 25. Plus the driving part was spread out. Long story short, I thought the wave in Wichita was salvageable, people aren't even waving at WWII jeeps anymore. My happiness is dismayed.

Was he like this? I think I see him almost every day, but not when it's raining or snowing.
image-missing.png

You did say "The sun looked at me and waved shyly."
Jeepers wave around here. In the summer I thought this one guy was going to fall outof the jeep as he stood up, in an intersection, top off the jeep and waved frantically at me and this other Jeep.

It always chops my hide when I don't get a wave back. At least there are "us" who have waved, do wave and will continue to wave.

Jeep-jeep

No matter what I wave, running near the 60% range of wave backs. Just because others are rude or ignorant of the jeep wave, I still do. It's a jeep thing.

Sent from my Android using Jeepz

Seems like the older the Jeep the cooler it is.:shades: I like the new capabilities of more modern Jeeps, but the old Military Jeeps and Willy's era Jeeps definitely have a leg up on the cool factor.

I almost always wave. But generally JKs don't return the wave. Perhaps they think they are too cool to wave to a YJ, but I wave at them just the same. :)
YJs and CJs almost always wave. TJs about 50/50.

some just don,t want to wave ,i always do, i need more friends in the bush ,i waved at a guy once he gave me the finger ha ha ,i thought oh well ,2 days later in the middle of nowhere there he was stuck in the mud ,, sun was in my eyes that day did not see a thing.

I recieved a wave, more like a finger toss in Idaho. Of course I waved back. But this guy put up his two fingers like the "Peace" sign, only with his thumb stuck out with them. It looks remarkably like a YJ...sorta. We were both in a YJ and I commented to my wife that from now on that was our YJ wave. Never belonged to a jeep club so this is probably SOP I didn't know about.

Triggersights said:
I recieved a wave, more like a finger toss in Idaho. Of course I waved back. But this guy put up his two fingers like the "Peace" sign, only with his thumb stuck out with them. It looks remarkably like a YJ...sorta. We were both in a YJ and I commented to my wife that from now on that was our YJ wave. Never belonged to a jeep club so this is probably SOP I didn't know about.

I usually do the "V" wave. I was told years ago that it was something to do with "Victory" since the Jeep helped win WWII.

Though that could be just wishful thinking. :)

I always wave and find that some people, probably about 30%, just aren't paying attention. Most who see me wave do wave back, though. I had a guy today (I posted it on the Urban Flexing thread) stopped in the middle of busy traffic approaching a red light and let me out of a parking lot. He had about four cars behind him and clearly didn't have to stop. He was pretty enthusiastic. My sons get irritated and say that it's not some kind of club. I tell them they might be right, it's more of a camaraderie. And then I invite them to walk home.

ScubaDude said:
Okay okay laugh it up, can we move on now? I would have edited it by now if not so many people thought it was hilarious

You wouldn't have known to edit if we hadn't laughed. :lol:

I almost always wave. But generally JKs don't return the wave. Perhaps they think they are too cool to wave to a YJ, but I wave at them just the same. :)
YJs and CJs almost always wave. TJs about 50/50.

You know now that you mention it, I can say I've had the same experience. It must be like "Yeah! Mine still runs too!"

Back