1911 recommendations

LGR

I'm sure we have shooters in the bunch here...

I'm in the market for a 1911 in a few weeks. Pros and Cons of the big brands? I was looking at Kimbers, but somebody told me to see if I can find a Dan Wesson or a Les Baer. The 1911 will be be a sub for my S&W model 14 in bullseye shooting, So accuracy would be the most important.
Any info would be great.

The 1911 has always been my favorite. As the saying goes you get what you pay for. Unless you are planning on competition shooting, a bone stock gun is just as good. When you get into Kimbers etc you are paying for the name. They are good guns if you want to put out the money.

they have a competition 1911 that they featured in top shot. I can't remember what its called but that could be something to look into. I'm sure it's really expensive though...

apparently its a 9mm based off a 1911 platform. it's called a razorcat and costs about 5k

Last edited:

they have a competition 1911 that they featured in top shot. I can't remember what its called but that could be something to look into. I'm sure it's really expensive though...

apparently its a 9mm based off a 1911 platform. it's called a razorcat and costs about 5k

I hope its made out of gold and shoots dollar bills for 5,000.

Wow, Just checked it out. Really nice but a bit overkill for me. Don't get me wrong i'd love to have it if somebody gave it to me. No way I can toss 5,000 on a handgun.
Was really looking for best performance outta the box, Mods will be done to the gun slowly as I see the need for it. Gotta be 45 though. If you can't shoot well without all that extra stuff it won't change too much anyways.

Since you are shooting competition the Kimber is a good platform to start with. The can be ordered as a decent comp gun and added to or as a very competitive gun right out of the box.

The Springfield 1911 Range Officer, around $1000bucks give or take. Read the reviews, that and the price speaks volumes. Les Baer makes top of the line firearms and they're top of the line price. You'll get a bare bones no frills model for $3500. I'm not skilled enough to warrant the extra cost. A good friend just bought a PARA Warthog compact carry .45 I really like but it's not a range gun. It's the 100th anniversary of the 1911, everybodys making a copy. It's the most copied action in the world.

I did look at the range officer and liked what I saw. Never able to fire one yet. Out of all the 1911s I've fired, Colt and Kimber have been the ones I've liked the most.

I did look at the range officer and liked what I saw. Never able to fire one yet. Out of all the 1911s I've fired, Colt and Kimber have been the ones I've liked the most.
I'm not going to try to sway you from Colt, just tell you what I know. Quality dropped of in the 80's, they were bought out. I don't know what it's like now. For years I wouldn't own one, wouldn't even look at 'em. Times have changed, it has been a long time maybe they've got back where they need to be. I like to read the reviews on guns, they're too expensive to just buy 'em and try 'em. Take a grain of salt with every review though. Some are biased for different reasons. There's a range where I live that'll rent you a gun to shoot at their range, they also sell guns. I think this is ideal 'cause you never know whether you'll like it or not 'till you shoot it.

Back