My Jeep

Will

I made my intro earlier,but I would like to tell you about my Jeep.I have always been a pretty good mechanic,not a tech mind you,but a mechanic.Except for electrics,those are a nightmare for me.

About 10 years ago I bought my 2nd DJ,(plum wore out my '76).I bought it for work,I'm a rural mail carrier you see.It is an '84 M model.Now I know me,if I don't do it now ,it ain't gonna get done.So,I pulled the motor and rebuilt it.Got the body ready to paint.

Along with raising 3 kid's and a motorcycle club and work,well it didn't get done.So it has set for a good while now.Lately I have become motivated again.At this point I am having to go back and redo alot of what had already been done.

So here we go.... my plan,P235/75/15's on steel wheels with baby moons.Rhino line the top and add a rack.Rhino line the floor,get rid of the table and add new seats.Add a jerry can to the back door.

Paint the body and doors Oliver Green,( not OD green),if anyone is familiar with the Oliver tractors.I also would like to add a hood ornament from a 50's model Pontiac.Then of course all the hinges and handles will be black.Oh yeah,add some gun racks inside.Tint the 2 side and back windows.

I have plans to replace the shocks and will have to make the rubber bushing's between the frame and body.Hopefully all the little things like this will be done by warm weather.Since I have to work outside,I need to wait on warm days to paint.I'm sure my neighbors will like this.

"Oliver" has an AMC 150,with the 904 transmission.Don't have a clue as to the rear end.I have torn out the pulse air and converter.In the process of removing all the other stuff I don't think I need.

Well there you go,I sure have my work cut out for me.But I'm gonna get it done this time!!

That sounds like a great project. I think we're gonna need some photos.

Sounds great, I was talking to one of the local rural carriers here and he said that you can still buy jeeps with right hand steering... Is that true.

I tried to post a pic or 2 yesterday,but I have to have 5 post first.

clyde,it would depend on what the carrier means by "still buy them".As far as I know their are no more jeeps in the USPS inventory.When they were offered for sale,( either by them being worn out,or by the transition to the LLV) the rural carriers were given first dibbs on them.Then they were offered to other crafts within the service.After that I don't know what happened to them.I do know that in my district there are no jeeps,or parts on hand.Not even a manual.Believe me I have been looking.Plus as far as I know,all postal jeeps were right hand drive.So I would say yes there are jeeps for sale,if you can find one and it is for sale,mine is not.I do not believe you can buy from the USPS.Maybe,but I doubt it.

I do know were there are 2 jeeps,one a '76,which I gave a way,and another that is quite a bit older.I don't know the year,but is for sale.

I have a 1982 DJ5-L that I sometimes order parts for from the link below:

Postal Jeep Parts

Sounds great, I was talking to one of the local rural carriers here and he said that you can still buy jeeps with right hand steering... Is that true.

They do make factory RHD Wranglers for rural carriers in the form of 4 door JKs currently. I bought my '06 RHD on ebay. Here's another interesting link about Wranglers:

Jeep Wrangler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and you can get rhd cherokees that were mail carrier jeeps too. i looked at one or two but still wanted a wrangler

and those dj mail jeep are sweet. i would love to have one

I have manuals , many postal vehicles from dj5s to xjs
I have about every part you would ever need then some

pm me if you need anything even the whole jeep

Last edited:
You can special order right hand drive from jeep and subaru.The USPS will give the carrier $500. towards one.The problem with the subaru and at one time the saturn was that it was too small to carry the routes mail.That is unless you had a "baby route".These are not considered postal vehicles,as they are privately owned.

I am familiar with the jeep place in Boaz,Al,have done business with them before.They are really good people,and glad to work with you.

I could stand a service manual for a M model.I gave an L model manual to a guy on the AMC forum a few days ago.

Back