ABC investigates Death Wobble

The Hellbilly said:
I've had 3 Jeep Wranglers (2001, 2003, & 2012) since 2001, I've never seen it happen with any of them, I realize I've only had my 2012 for about a month, but, I did ALOT of highway travel with my '03, never had any issue. In all honesty, I've never heard of the "Death Wobble", til' I saw this thread. Maybe I just didn't own them long enough to see it?

Jeep® O|||||||O

some people never experiance it

its violent and scary, i had it in my cherokee completely stock, i had 30" tires and took it for a tire totation and they diddnt torque them correctly, i got DW on te way home around 50 mph an the whole front end shook like hell, i had no clue how to fix it and let it go an tryed not to go to fast for a while, but then i installed a set of wheel spacers and did the whole job myself and retorqued them and after that it ran like a dream

It's not just jeep that suffers from it. Gm did when they had solid front axle. Ford did. Toyota. Isuzu. Anything with solid front is susceptible. Dodge is just the only one left running solid fronts besides ford. And ford uses huge suspension links compared to dodge and jeep.

I know I wouldn't. But you know how these things go. Someone does an investigation then the government gets involved and says its unsafe. It would be a sad day in jeepdom.

I'm not sure what Woman your talking about but that could have went unsaid.
This isnt like other forums where you can trash talk each other.

It's not just jeep that suffers from it. Gm did when they had solid front axle. Ford did. Toyota. Isuzu. Anything with solid front is susceptible. Dodge is just the only one left running solid fronts besides ford. And ford uses huge suspension links compared to dodge and jeep.

This is true, all of our fleet f 250's done it.
They seem to have it straightened out with the 2012's

I've read a couple of articles that say the 2012 Wranglers don't have the issue.......I realize it's early into 2012, but the 2012 Wranglers have been out for a while.

Jeep® °lllllll°

Last edited:
What is sad about the video is the "fix" was a steering stabilizer. The #1 wrong part for DW. You don't really know if these were dealer/mechanic decisions or a TSB. Hopefully Jeep will issue a TSB for the issues and include replacing the correct parts.

I've had Death Wobble on my 05 TJ after putting a 2.5" lift on. It was very easy to reproduce, and ended up being a number of things, mostly related to worn components (ball joints & track bar).

My friend got it continuously in his totally stock 06 Wrangler. He was so frustrated with it that he sold his Jeep after the dealership couldn't reproduce / fix it.

I haven't experienced death wobble yet. When I first got my Wrangler, it had 31x10.5" tires on it and it would vibrate between 45 and 55 mph. Since going back to stock size tires, it drives fine with no issues.

Back