child safety

martinj

My 2yr loves his jeep & loves to be in it but when the top goes off he's afraid. His older brother never had an issue. Any ideas ??

my brother has a fear of open top buildings. no idea on what to do about, my brother never got over it. he won't go to sports games in open stadiums and slinks way down in vehicles so he cannot look out the windows.

you might have to just drive him in it around the block everyday till he gets over it

Take him to his favorite playground, ice cream shoppe or McD's. Bring a friend of his along to sit in back with. Someone who thinks it's really cool. Pick all side roads nothing above 35 mph.

My kids do not like the wind whipping. One does the head between the knees if I go over 35. However with a bikini top they are o.k.

Last edited:

and, just so you know that i didn't just come up with that.

my wife is eppileptic and because of that, has fears of bridges and elevators and such. i spoke with her doctor about it because she really freezes up and cannot move when we go near bridges in the vehicles and will not ride an elevator, at all, no matter the building height. he said to make her do the things over and over so she sees it won;t hurt her. he said his wife was the same way. he just took her into an elevator and made her go up and down over and over. and for the bridge, he took her on top of one and then got out and made her drive down.

i do that to my wife all the time. tell her something is on the floor and could she get it and then drive up a big bridge. she doesn;t think its funny but i do, ha ha ha. she is scared of midgets too. when i see one in the crowd, i draw her attention away and then go stand by him with her. makes me laugh thinking about it but she hates it.

man, i am so mean.

Met a lady once who was afraid to drive over bridges. I think it is called gephyrophobia?? But I was in the Y at the water cooler near the door. The lady came in looking lost and I expected her to ask for directions. She said, "Would you be so kind as to drive me and my son over the bridge?" I was stunned. I looked around to see if it was a joke. She explained her fear and thought she planned the trip around how few bridges she would have to drive over. I drover them over. Her kid was more embarrassed. He was about 11 or 12. She turned white even though I tried talking all the way across.
When I stopped the car on the other side she tried paying me $5. I told her I needed the exercise and jogged back.

Sux to be afraid of anything.

It could just be something he is going through. He could grow out of it sometime, or it could just be something he is afraid of. I have noticed that I can't work or do anything around machines that rotate, including watching an engine run. I used to be able to but since I got my hand pulled into a machine at my old job back in May, it has freaked me out.

Damn, that sucks. I worry about getting my hand caught in engines since that one grid to take my finger tip off but I do it. Just carefully. :)

My 4 yr old grandson had been begging me to take him for a ride in the Jeep. So one morning I got him bundled up, put him and his car seat in the front seat and the dog in back and went to Starbucks. At the time the Jeep was toplessHe was non stop chatting the whole ride. The next time we went for a ride the top was on and he was in the back seat. He told me when we got back that he didn't like the top on. It hurt his ears. I guess the top flapping was too loud. Try it both ways. He may like one way over the other.

It could just be something he is going through. He could grow out of it sometime, or it could just be something he is afraid of. I have noticed that I can't work or do anything around machines that rotate, including watching an engine run. I used to be able to but since I got my hand pulled into a machine at my old job back in May, it has freaked me out.

i remember that .

my mom hates heights but she will go out on a balcony at my grandmothers apt which is on the 11th floor and be just fine so i dunno. i was afraid of heights till i worked construction lol

I hate bridges. I got stuck on the Tampa Bay bridge when I was about 10. We were just heading up the bridge and there was an accident on the other side, so we were stuck on the damn thing for a few hours. Couldn't see over the top of the bridge, high up with water on both sides. No thanks. I won't drive on the Bay Bridge in Maryland. Almost had to call my uncle to tell him we were meeting on MY side of it, but fortunately our meeting place was nearby - no worrying necessary. Ugh!

you know whats funny, heights never bothered me till recently.

i used to climb everything and jump from high cliffs into the water, went bungee jumping, went to airborne school, had to climb up ladders tied together to paint three and four story condos, rappelled, mountain climbing, all of it.been out of it for a bunch of years and now don;t like to go up anymore. used to love the high scary rides at the amusement park but now i would rather pass.

I like the adrenaline rush. I don't like bridges and can only tolerate elevators unless they're crowded, but I'll jump out of an airplane with no hesitation. Weird.

klkb said:
I like the adrenaline rush. I don't like bridges and can only tolerate elevators unless they're crowded, but I'll jump out of an airplane with no hesitation. Weird.

haha me too i think we are all adrenaline junkies lol jeep drivers are crazy

My 2yr loves his jeep & loves to be in it but when the top goes off he's afraid. His older brother never had an issue. Any ideas ??

I would not force the issue, as doing so could create a bigger problem. Most kids grow out of odd fears with time.

Maybe find him one of those battery powered toy Jeeps and let him cruise around the yard in that. Once he gets comfortable, maybe he'd be willing to ride in the big Jeep with Dad...just go slow and easy, baby steps.

When he hits 16, he'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Jeepergeo said:
I would not force the issue, as doing so could create a bigger problem. Most kids grow out of odd fears with time.

Maybe find him one of those battery powered toy Jeeps and let him cruise around the yard in that. Once he gets comfortable, maybe he'd be willing to ride in the big Jeep with Dad...just go slow and easy, baby steps.

when he is 16 he will look back and say that was one sweet little jeep i had when i was a tike

Jeepergeo said:

he will look back and say that was one sweet little jeep i ha as a little tike

klkb said:
I hate bridges. I got stuck on the Tampa Bay bridge when I was about 10. We were just heading up the bridge and there was an accident on the other side, so we were stuck on the damn thing for a few hours. Couldn't see over the top of the bridge, high up with water on both sides. No thanks. I won't drive on the Bay Bridge in Maryland. Almost had to call my uncle to tell him we were meeting on MY side of it, but fortunately our meeting place was nearby - no worrying necessary. Ugh!

I'm not afraid of bridges but I cant handle the bay bridge either.

Back