Trac loc diff

flatie46

A while back I bought a Scrambler project and anthor CJ5 for parts to help complete the Scrambler. Yesterday I was pulling some parts from the 5 I decided to check the diff to see what gear it had. The tag was gone as usual so I cleaned up the housing to find the "Y" stamped into it. From what I could find out, this means it's a 3:07 gear trac-loc if it hasn't been changed. Are the trac- locs any good? I don't know anything about them. It's pretty vage on the net about 'em. I was wanting a lower gear than what I have in the CJ5 that's my daily driver which is 3:54. That must have been pretty common, all the others I've had had that ratio.

The trac lock is just a limited slip. Average life on the clutches is 50,000 Kms street driving mine lasted a weekend on the trail.

3.07 is stock gearing on all the yj six cylinders with automatic trans
This under a '79 CJ. I'm gonna pull the cover and make sure though. This Jeep had quite a bit of $$$ spent on it at one time. It's the one I got my hard top from. It's a shame to part it out, it's actually in better shape than the one I'm driving. I guess you can't save 'em all.

Back