What do you think?

MattMayTJ

Found what seems to be a decent CJ5 (for the money) it's not pretty but it will be more of a trail jeep if I can get it to run. I would also like to know how much money you guys think it would cost to get it drivable I have never restored or for that matter never really worked on a vehicle with the exception of changing my oil so I guess my question is what's the level of difficulty here is the link pictures and conversation I have had with the guy who is selling it

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2989027238.html

ME: Does the motor still run and could you send me some pictures if possible?

HIM:the engine should be in good shape, however, it will likely need a teardown and rebuild - with a long wrench on the fan bolt, i could get it to physically turn, so it is not locked up, but it has been a while since it's been run.

I realize you guys prob cant tell me much without physically inspecting the jeep but any input would be appreciated

Attachments

• image-3811017457.png
    image-3811017457.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 217
  • image-1038003777.png
    image-1038003777.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1901242266.png
    image-1901242266.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 265
  • image-823626264.png
    image-823626264.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 182

Something to add I asked him if he had tried to turn it over and he said
Several years ago. The oil has sludged up over the past 10 or 15 years

wow man, i would pass on that unless its free. to much rust and to much no usage.

there is one by me for 1800 that runs and drives great, a 77 cj5. less rust, but still has some rust but has been mechanically maintained well. check craigslist for corpus christi texas and call him.

For 600 I think I would go for it and take a chance.The tires look decent, but are they dry rotted? Sitting for a long time things like fuel pump,brake cylinders,and diffrent little things are gonna pop up for ya to fix. But it would be a good project,and learning experience. I paid 500 dollars for my 91 yj, the guy couldnt get it started.I figured what to heck I'll take a chance. got it home and it turned out to be the timeing chain.Replaced that and started it up.Guess I got lucky, but I was in the frame of mind that if I gotta replace the engine I would cause I wanted anouther jeep. I put a lot of new stuff on it,after all was done I had a total of 3000 invested into it. I would take a chance on the one your looking at for 600,provideing the tires was not dry rotted. How many miles is on it?

Around here where im from, a jeep like that for 600 bucks wouldnt last long. If the frame is solid I would be all over it. From what I see in the pics you will be in for a windsheild frame, front fender, some patching on the rear quarter, mayb a few patches on the floor boards. U will more than likely run into things like new alt, bat, plugs, wires, coil, brake lines, filters, fuel pump, and such because it sat so long. Just because the engine hasnt run in a long time, don't mean it needs a rebuild, it may be fine. Im going to take a guess and say no more than $1000-$1500 will get it up and going. Mine 69 was way way way worse than that when I got it. I had around 1500 in it when I could drive it on the road, (I got most of my metal free for repairs, and paint). I now have probably 2000-2500 in it.

He said the tires are shot and that it would need a trailer and that he has replacement fenders that are in better shape

Here is more info I asked
So when you tried turning it over what happen? Did it not try to turn over at all? Did it turn over just not ignite? Or did you not have any response after you turned the key?

Also, what's the condition of the transfer case and axles? Like when you parked the jeep did it have any issues with the drivetrain

He answered
i bought it out of a barn - so the drivetrain is in question - nothing seems seized up, however, i would bet that rebuilds will be in order for both axles and the t-case... the original owner seemed to think something was awry when he parked it, but he couldn't remember if it was this rig, or one of the other barn trucks he had.

id memory serves me (it's been 6 years now) i think the engine wanted to try and turn, but it was having a lot of trouble trying to turn - ignition wasn't really an option, since it had the original plugs and wires form 15 years or more ago at that time... that's whan i decided to start the tear down, and simply removing the valve cover revealed the gummy mess that the oil had become.

attached are the photos of the fenders as well as a wide angle showing some more of the engine (sorry for the 4x4 post, but i didn't want the hood falling on me when i was wrenching on the roached out fenders)

I know this is kinda a older post but,,,,,
The main thing would be the frame. Just how bad is it? If the rest of the floor looks the front, then ok.If you have the time, money and a place to work on it sure. But not for $600. Everytime you asked about something he said it would need to be torn down, in other words rebuilt.
Do your homework first. Look into what you would need to do to it, look up on the net and see what it would take and how much $$ it would take. Then think if it's worth your time & $$$.
With that being said this would be a great first time project, a good way to learn how work on a jeep.
If you decide to get it there are plenty of CJ forums you can go to & join for help.

Back