Bad day...

eric m

Got rearended this morning and they're probaly going to total my Jeep. It really sucks (aside from being my only ride) I just finished up the poor job the p.o. did on the lift. I had it riding great!

Sucks man... Is it still drive able? May make a good trail jeep.

Drove it to my dads and after the e.r. visit and neck brace fun I drove it down to the bodyshop so they can start the go over. But as far as a trail jeep its a gr. Cherokee and the unibody got crumpled in the rear, and like I said its my only ride so I got to take whatever I can get from the other guys insureance co. And invest in a new dd as oppsed to buying my jeep back to make a toy.

Let them total it. A damaged unibody isn't worth keeping. You can always see what it cost to buy it back and go get another grand of the same model and keep the damaged one for parts. I wish I had another GC to cannibalize.

1500 bucks man. thats what they offered for my beautiful 94 zj. man, i miss that baby, it was a perfect family jeep and sleeper off roader

Yes but if they offer him the theoretical 1500 it would cost a small percentage to get back. Easily made back in parts.

dustin g said:
Let them total it. A damaged unibody isn't worth keeping. You can always see what it cost to buy it back and go get another grand of the same model and keep the damaged one for parts. I wish I had another GC to cannibalize.

Thought about it and am still looking for a decent gr. Cherokee in my area for reasonable so I could do that but everything I see is way more rusted out. (I live in ohio).

superj said:
1500 bucks man. thats what they offered for my beautiful 94 zj. man, i miss that baby, it was a perfect family jeep and sleeper off roader

I have no idea what they'll offer as of yet, but I just spent $600 of my tax return on parts which haven't even been on the jeep 3 months. Thankfully I have all the reciepts for the purchase price ( I did all the labor myself.)

That does suck. Glad you're ok and hope you come out ok with the insurance. At least they have insurance.

southtj said:
That does suck. Glad you're ok and hope you come out ok with the insurance. At least they have insurance.

That is the one plus...I'll just have to wait to hear back from the adjuster. He offically pronounced it totaled this morning because they didn't want to pay the $6000 repair est. So its kind of wait and see how it goes.

i hate insurance companies and the crock they sell. i told them i didn;t want their money, i would rather they just get the same make, model, year jeep and drop it off. they sure answered its not their job to do that quickly. i told them i bet because with the ****ty amount of money they were giving me they were not going to be able to find one not running to buy. insurance is a bunch of bull crap

There are lots of them here in Phoenix with no rust since it almost never rains here. $3k and you can get a decent one. Just fly in and drive it home.

dustin g said:
There are lots of them here in Phoenix with no rust since it almost never rains here. $3k and you can get a decent one. Just fly in and drive it home.

I only wish it were an option. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. But did a lot of haggling today: before I send my reicpts in from all the work I've done they're offering $1935 or I can but the jeep back an get $1535. I'm going that route. I have a '97 wrangler 4cly 5spd for $1800 lined up that I'm going to see tomorrow. Wish me luck with all this mess.

A slight update; went around a bit with the other drivers insurance company. I keep the Jeep plus I get $1700 back. I ended up getting the $1800 dollar TJ so at least a lot of the parts suspension wise can be swapped over.

Eric, I know this is after the fact, but. I have my jeep listed with my insurance company as a custom vehicle. Was able to get a 9000$ rider added for all my critical upgrades. You might look into this once you start dumping money into your new jeep.

Utah_jeepster said:
Eric, I know this is after the fact, but. I have my jeep listed with my insurance company as a custom vehicle. Was able to get a 9000$ rider added for all my critical upgrades. You might look into this once you start dumping money into your new jeep.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check in on that for sure, my only question is how would that work if your in an accident but not at fault? Would the other insurance company take that into consideration or would you be left making a claim with your own insurance company?

First it gives you grounds to sue for a custom vehicle, but all you really have claim against your rider.

Back