Welp, guess I'll pull my trans an see what's making the grinding noise.

flatie46

My son borrowed my CJ while I did some work to his truck. He called yesterday and said, " Hey there's a grinding noise comming from the transmission". Crap! I really didn't need anything else to fix:roll:. I guess I get to see what the inside of a T-176 4speed looks like:scratch:. Oh well, it ain't gonna unbolt it's self. I'll probablly need more beer for this job than I have on hand.

I finally got a chance to take my trans appart. The front bearing was toast. I couldn't believe the syncros looked as good as they did. It didn't want to shift into first unless it was stopped, I guess it was all the play. I got my trans rebuild kit from a place in Knoxville called, What ever it takes, transmission parts. They were the cheapest by far, parts seem to be good quality. Gonna clean the case tomorow, may strat putting it back togther monday if all goes well at work.

It's not too bad, I'm in no big hurry but I am missing my Jeep. Been driving a car I'm gonna give to my daughter in a couple months (02 Elantra). It's just not me to say the least!

I've never done any manual transmission work, so throw up some photos if you get a chance.

Man I would, but I just plain suck at tryn to post a photo. There ain't much I can't fix, but for some reason if it has a keyboard and a screen I have a hard time. I'm just a point a click guy I guess.

Ok, got my Jeep trans bac k together and in it. It works and shifts great, no leaks that I can see. The 1st and 2nd syncros were bad when I got it and I've just dealt with them untill now. While it was down I did some parts swapping with a friend and got a good set of 33x12.50's bfg's on 10" rims and put them on it. They really helped it out vs the 31-10.50's on 8's it had. Sorry I didn't manage to get any pics of the process, our dig camera has bit the dust. Anyway It's nice to be back in my old CJ!

When I pulled the trans, I pulled the old pilot bushing out. It was for the 3speed witch has a bigger shaft and hole in the bushing than the 4speed. I'd say when they swaped in the 4speed they never give that any thought. The input shaft had no support.

Back