Anyone had to have their Jeep go through salvage inspection?

kaylaah

A few months ago I bought a 93 grand Cherokee, and I absolutely LOVE IT! I've poured so much money into it. (new paint job, brakes, calipers, rotors,neutral safety switch, headlights etc... Pretty much quadruple what I paid for the jeep) so anyways... Went to register it only to find out that it was written off as salvage!! :( that being said.. The seller said that there were no Leins or any bad title on it (illegal I know) so I've Been working on getting it ready to take it for the salvage inspection.. Which is 500$ where I am from.. Then I got thinking and I just bought a car proof report. It says that the insurance said that the estimated damage repair cost would be 3800.00$ and that the damage was caused by "rear impact" I have already replaced the bumper and everything. The gas tank has a small dent. I'm just trying to figure out why that damage could possibly be estimated at 3800$ (keep in mind all the work done was done at home so I didn't pay any labour for mechanic or marked up
Mechanic part prices) and also there is no visible frame damage. Would a new bumper and gas tank plus labour come to approx 3800$? Also, would other things (example, cracked windshield etc things not having to do with "rear impact") possibly be added onto the total estimated repairs?

Any insight would be appreciated..:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Anyone had to habe their jeep go threw salvage inspection?

Was there any frame damage?

Re: Anyone had to habe their jeep go threw salvage inspection?

The quotes for repair are on the extreme side because the shops doing the work and the owners of the car are all wanting as much as they can get from the insurance companies. All quotes are at the perfessional level. It probably cost about half that, but everyone wants money from the deal. Just a FYI: I dont think they will pass you if the windsheild is cracked.

The windshield has already been replaced and is brand spankin new! Lol as for frame damage, not that I can see, I've had a few mechanically inclined people look at it and not that they can see either

The windshield thing was just my way of asking if other damage not associated with "rear impact" would we quoted in the estimate

If it needed a paint job then the price could add up quick.

I imagine that they quoted for a bumper, gas tank and paint. If the air bags deployed then that could be pretty pricey to replace them as well.

Terry's right I totaled my first car becuase my air bags went off (thank god they did Cuase my girlfriend didn't have on her seat belt) but the only thing wrong with it was the front bumper was smashed and the radiator was gone I think the air bags alone were like 4grand to be replaced

That's good to know! I think it'll be fine with the inspection. I'll let everyone know :)

do you have airbags? my 93 zj laredo didn;t have airbags and we got rear ended and it was totalled. but it was really totalled, the body was buckled and the doors stuck up over the top of the roof because the car hit the back and bent the back half of the jeep downwards.

lay under the jeep and look along the sub frame for buckling. check to see if the door tops are above the body lines.

image-missing.png

imagesqtbnANd9GcSJaO4ezqxl4bZeNoIrLP4Cdn-1.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcTfUu7EIX_kK6CRPULKWMUlPh-1.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcQJ9uO2695k9eQorXMO61mnsp-1.jpg

the other car

imagesqtbnANd9GcTtAn3nuVtblMzbfw3ClxN4Na-1.jpg

Everything is fine, the back door is fine too, as far as I know air bags are intact. I'm not sure how to tell if they are. There was minimal damage.. The bumper (steel part under the bumper cover) was bent and the bumper mount brackets buckled )

image-1085397520.jpg

Those parts..

So that's all been replaced.
The hitch took most of the impact (it's slightly bent) and the gas tank has a dent

That bumper mount bracket isn't on my jeep btw. That was off a jeep at the pick yard so I could show part shops here what I need. Lol they seem to not know what any single part I've been looking for is lol

The rear of the unibody is fairly weak but the front is super strong. I have smeared a Dodge neon, a Nissan pickup, a Stratus and flipped it onto its passenger side without ever damaging the unibody. That being said each one of those costed the insurance about $3500 each. But almost all damage was to the front. Tho at the time it was only 4-6 years old.

in my state is a requirement to replace all of the seatbelts following any reported accident. not sure if that matters where your at.

Back