Traffic ticket question

MattMayTJ

Got pulled over last night going 12 over the posted speed limit and I don't believe I'm eligible to take the stop class because they only offer if you have not taken it in the past three years, I took it last year. So my question is when you go to traffic court do they still have your ticket in a file or do they pull it up on a computer? Because the officer printed out the ticket he didn't have a traditional ticket I'm used to seeing where he physically writes out what you did on the ticket.The only reason I ask is because I read an article a while ago that said of you keep postponing your court date there is a good chance they will loose your ticket an throw your case out.

Most agencies are moving to the electronic citations. When the officer prints the ticket, it gets transmitted to the DMV. You can postpone the hearing all you want but it's in the computer at your clerks office office so all they have to do is hit print and get another copy, it's not gonna get lost. Your best bet is to pay the fine or go to the hearing and tell the judge you'll pay the fine, but you just don't want the points. They are usually really good about that, cause all they want is the money!!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

Only 1 time have I not talked myself out of a ticket. I then went to court and talked myself out of the fine and points. Still had to pay court costss. lol. Like Brads94 says, once it's in the system, it's always in the system. Good luck loosing the points.

Give me some pointers how does one talk himself out of fines and points?

If your a girl... Be hot and cry.

If your a guy... Be as understanding and respectful as possible, sometimes they like to see that and just warn you.

That's all I got.

Depends on the state.Also depends on who gave you the ticket.In PA you have local cops and state troopers.Local cops only get paid to go to court if it happens to be the day they are scheduled to work.If the Police officer doesnt show you win no fine or points.State trooper gets paid no matter what.A few tickets that I fought I spoke to the police officer before the hearing in the lobby.We would both agree to my speed to 10 mph over which in pa is no points and just a fine.Win Win then.They get paid I got no points and no one had to wait around all day for the Judge to call your name.

On a second note how did the Officer get your speed?
If it was a Timing sytem where the clock the time it takes you to cover a certain distance you can question the Officers reaction time on starting and stopping the clock.

If it was Radar you can always try to question the last time it was calibrated.

He said he clocked me three times it was a state trooper and he wrote me down for 12 over

ScubaDude, Sounds about right. I don't cry, but I am as take me to bed as I can be. Now that I am a nurse, I put my badge on the dash. It has a big red RN on the bottom. :) Not many officers of the law want to wake up from an accident, lying on a hospital cot, and find the woman, to whom they just gave a $180 ticket now cutting their clothes off to look for injuries.
I have made a couple friends of the street cops who come in to interview accident victims. My understanding of the general state of mind for ticketing - Over 10, your getting pulled over to investigate. Ticket depends on your attitude and maybe your record. Over 15, your most likely getting a ticket, unless you have an ace in the hole - like my rn badge - but the rate of speed they put on the ticket will depend on your attitude.
My ticket - I was doing over 50 in a 25. I was cited for 42; tried for less, but no dice. In court I was terribly sad and stated that I was in this.. this.. this big car that I am not used to driving... and it's so tall that it sometimes scares me.. and I was going down hill so it was sppeding up, but I didn't notice... and I am so very, very sorry... blah, blah. blah. Oh, I'm just a girl and don't know how to handle this 2 ton machine ;). lmao.

Not many officers of the law want to wake up from an accident, lying on a hospital cot, and find the woman, to whom they just gave a $180 ticket now cutting their clothes off to look for injuries.
I'd like to think the majority of RN's are much more professional than that.

Most of them are....

Mattay best thing for you to do is go to court and tell the judge that you were wrong but need a clean license for work. The judges will usually work with you. If you want to plea NOT GUILTY. Ask to see the device certification (Radar, Lidar, or vehicle used to pace) also ask to see their certs. saying they are trained to use the equipment. Whatever you do don't walk in there acting like my cousin Vinny. If they have all of that, in your closing arguments revert back to telling the judge that you can't have points on your license. ASLO: speed camera tickets don't count (depending on the state) because there is never contact with the driver it goes directly to the owner. Good Luck

Just show up and tell the truth. Got me out of about 20 speeding tickets."sorry sir, the surf is up and we just got out of school."

Back