Gun ban coming

lsmurphy

Assault Weapons - Issues - United States Senator Dianne Feinstein

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;

Type and serial number of the firearm;

Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;

Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession
would not violate State or local law;

and Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Just like I said they were gonna do, turn our semi autos into NFA guns!!
mad_small.gif

It won't stop the criminals from getting them. Only the law-abiding citizens will be affected. This law will not give me the warm and fuzzies at night. They're just slapping a new band-aid on an infected wound.

^ agree. All they will do is stop law abiding people from being able to protect their familys and belongings. Its not the gun, its the idiots that get there hands on one, and the lack of tought responsibility of having your hands on one.

They think they are dealing with a nation of dummys. The mall shooter stole his friends gun, the newtown killer stole his moms guns. But the government has to say that they are gonna do something about this by makeing up some laws and bans that amount to doing nothing.
I suppose they think that these new bans are gonna stop these idiots like the whacko that shot the firefighters. It's not the American people that has some intelligence issues, but our so called leaders.

Here is a great post about gun control. It is kind of long but worth reading no matter what side of the coin you're on.

An opinion on gun control

excerpt:
And then comes up that pesky problem. The US banned assault rifles once before for a decade and the law did absolutely nothing. I mean, it was totally, literally pointless. The special commission to study it said that it accomplished absolutely nothing. (except tick a bunch of Americans off, and as a result we bought a TON more guns) And the reason was that since assault weapon is a nonsense term, they just came up with a list of arbitrary features which made a gun into an assault weapon.Problem was, none of these features actually made the gun functionally any different or somehow more lethal or better from any other run of the mill firearm. Most of the criteria were so silly that they became a huge joke to gun owners, except of course, for that part where many law abiding citizens accidentally became instant felons because one of their guns had some cosmetic feature which was now illegal.
One of the criteria was that it was semi-automatic. See above. Hard to ban the single most common and readily available type of gun in the world. (unless you believe in confiscation, but I’ll get to that). Then what if it takes a detachable magazine! That’s got to be an Evil Feature. And yes, we really did call the Evil Features. I’ll talk about magazines below, but once again, it is pretty hard to ban something that common unless you want to go on a confiscatory national suicide mission.
For example, flash hiders sound dangerous. Let’s say having a flash hider makes a gun an assault weapon. So flash hiders became an evil feature. Problem is flash hiders don’t do much. They screw onto the end of your muzzle and divert the flash off to the side instead of straight up so it isn’t as annoying when you shoot. It doesn’t actually hide the flash from anybody else. EVIL.
Barrel shrouds were listed. Barrel shrouds are basically useless, cosmetic pieces of metal that go over the barrel so you don’t accidentally touch it and burn your hand. But they became an instantaneous felony too. Collapsible stocks make it so you can adjust your rifle to different size shooters, that way a tall guy and his short wife can shoot the same gun. Nope. EVIL FEATURE!

Fire arms have only two enemies: politicians and rust...... Any law that is passed, no mater what the law regards to, it only affects the law abiding citizens. The criminals do what ever they want. That is why they are called criminals. The moment a person decides to kill someone with a gun, knife, baseball bat, a piece of rope or his/her bare hands they become criminals so therefore the laws do not apply to them. That means that the law just become null and void to them. Gun control just embolden the criminals because they know that they can be in control. One of the cities ith the tightest gun law restriction is Chicago, yet there have been more murders there thay in must major US cities. This year more people got murdered in Chicago than troops in Iraq.... What does it tell you about strict gun laws in Chicago. Not picking on Chicago. Look at most major metropolitan areas that ban guns versus where other places where the citizens are allowed to carry. Look what happened to Germany after Hitler disarmed his nation. Look at all the communist countries and how the people are or have been treated by the governments there. No communist nation allows their people to own guns...... In a nation like the United States with over 30 million population, how can the police protect every person. We have what? Lets say 10 million police officers, that means 30 people per officer....... Who is going to be protected first?? I own a whole bunch of fire arms and never had any intention of killing anyone in my civilian life. I hope the god that buying guns was my worst investment but if the day comes that I need them, I will have the. Why call them "assault rifle"????? Who am I assaulting. If someone breaks into my house I wouldn't be "assaulting" them, I will be DEFENDING my self.... Once again, if someone doesn't believe in guns, that is OK with me. I respect your opinion and beliefs but I also hope that you respect mine.

They think they are dealing with a nation of dummys. The mall shooter stole his friends gun, the newtown killer stole his moms guns. But the government has to say that they are gonna do something about this by makeing up some laws and bans that amount to doing nothing.
I suppose they think that these new bans are gonna stop these idiots like the whacko that shot the firefighters. It's not the American people that has some intelligence issues, but our so called leaders.
Gennybro,
i agree with you 100%. We machinists think alike...LOL. I have no leaders, I lead my self. I don't need a leader to tell me to go to work to support my family, I don't need a leader to tell me what is right for me. The last leader that I had was Ronald Reagan. Everybody else after him were just politicians. Today's CIC is a total joke as far as I am concerned. I might get in trouble for saying that but I couldn't care less anymore. Who is John Gault?

cristina and i are picking our first handgun as we speak. i have been researching and reading and talking to friends. i will get one before this ban goes into place.

You are correct Ghost Rider, We are a differnt type of cat compared to the other trades, and I have worked other trades. It's just something I cann't explain.

While I'm not for banning guns (I do own a couple of 22 rifles), I would question if the general public (myself included) really needs access to an AR-15 along with high capacity clips.

..now let me go find that flame suit..

It has only been recently that I have watched one of those video games involveing guns. Where as the main character is equipped with an arsenal of diffrent weapons and in search of the bad guys.
As I'm watching my friend play this game,the thought goes through my head that perhaps this type of game is planting the seed in some youngsters head {or mentally ill person} to have fantasy's about doing this in real life.
When I first watched bevis and Butthead, My first thought was that this type of entertainment is teaching our youngsters to be disrespectful.
Perhaps without realizeing it ,we are createing monsters with the type of entertainment we have created.

So i can not own a gun that holds more than 10 rounds but I can own 2 guns that carry 10 rounds each? So they are just making the non criminal own more guns to protect themselves.Do I need an AR-15 probably not,but having one makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside knowing if some one tried to enter my house they will be full of holes.I think they are going about this law the wrong way.Equip every one with a gun and people will think twice before using one knowing every one around them also has one.

^ agree, its a no brainer for criminals... comite a crime on someone carrying a gun, or someone not carrying a gun. which would you pick.

TerryMason said:
While I'm not for banning guns (I do own a couple of 22 rifles), I would question if the general public (myself included) really needs access to an AR-15 along with high capacity clips.

Let me start off as to say i'm not going to flame the boss...my dad has an ar-15, he use's it to shoot groundhogs in his back field. He says it's the most accurate rifle he's ever owned. Plus they're the Jeeps of the gun world you can build them how you want them. He handloads for his and shoots off a bench I made for him, he's getting a bit older now and it's his afterwork entertainment...his model is dubbed "optics ready carbine" how evil is that huh? By when I say accurate he routinly kills groundhogs in excess of 400 yds. So for him it's a fun rifle that does the job of several, it's also his hobby.

It has only been recently that I have watched one of those video games involveing guns. Where as the main character is equipped with an arsenal of diffrent weapons and in search of the bad guys.
As I'm watching my friend play this game,the thought goes through my head that perhaps this type of game is planting the seed in some youngsters head {or mentally ill person} to have fantasy's about doing this in real life.
When I first watched bevis and Butthead, My first thought was that this type of entertainment is teaching our youngsters to be disrespectful.
Perhaps without realizeing it ,we are createing monsters with the type of entertainment we have created.

That's what the head of the NRA said recently.
And here's another dirty little truth that the media try their best to conceal: There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse. And here's one: it's called Kindergarten Killers. It's been online for 10 years. How come my research department could find it and all of yours either couldn't or didn't want anyone to know you had found it?
Then there's the blood-soaked slasher films like "American Psycho" and "Natural Born Killers" that are aired like propaganda loops on "Splatterdays" and every day, and a thousand music videos that portray life as a joke and murder as a way of life. And then they have the nerve to call it "entertainment."

cristina and i are picking our first handgun as we speak. i have been researching and reading and talking to friends. i will get one before this ban goes into place.

superj, I hope you find what you are looking for. The gun shops have been packed lately and they are selling out of everything, not just rifles. Check GunGenie and it will help you find what you are looking for locally.

So i can not own a gun that holds more than 10 rounds but I can own 2 guns that carry 10 rounds each? So they are just making the non criminal own more guns to protect themselves.Do I need an AR-15 probably not,but having one makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside knowing if some one tried to enter my house they will be full of holes.I think they are going about this law the wrong way.Equip every one with a gun and people will think twice before using one knowing every one around them also has one.

It works in Switzerland. At the age of 20 all males undergo basic military training and remain a part of the militia in a reserve capacity until age 30. Each individual is issued a Sig 550 rifle to keep at home. After their service is done they get to keep the gun.

^ agree, its a no brainer for criminals... comite a crime on someone carrying a gun, or someone not carrying a gun. which would you pick.

That is why I think the gun free zones are a joke. They do the exact opposite of the desired effect. It lets the criminals know where there will be the least resistance. The movie theater shooter chose the one theater out of 10 that was posted a gun free zone. More like a fish in a barrel zone. Why you want to advertise the fact that no one has guns in this shop is beyond me. Criminals by definition don't follow the rules.

My opinion is that there will be no gun ban. The two sides (Republican and Democrates) can't agree to come together to stop a fisical cliff for the 3rd time in a few years!!! The Republicans wont allow a gun ban to pass period and believe it or not both parties are making a killing from gun sales. So give it a few months when the news has something new to report on and Newtown CT is on the back burrner it will just like everything else fade away (from us whom were not effected of course) and no gun ban will have been put in place. And thats a fact Jack!

WOW How the heck did I manage that? I posted from the future its 10:23am as I post this post

I agree that the bill probably won't pass but there is always that chance.

Good video here by Chuck Woolery. I think it was a little too "jokey" at times for a serious subject but he makes good points.

Terry,
you shouldn't need a flame suit. It is your right to choose to own or not own guns or what type of guns you should own if you choose so. The problem with limiting what guns we can own is that the criminals will always want to have something bigger and better than the victims. I have huge selection of ire arms and mag capacities and never committed a crime with them. Once someone wants to kill a lot of people with a gun, he/she cand do it easily even wit a 5 round revolver. I believe that the issue is with the criminals and punishment not the guns. A bottle of whiskey and a automobile can kill lots of people fast.... Just my opinion!

Back