What's the deal with dogs and runners?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've taken up running lately, and I've noticed more and more though how many dogs love to bark at, follow, or generally act aggressive towards me while I'm running. More and more often I go out and dogs will run the length of their yards barking at me, or if the owner is walking them on the sidewalk they'll try and nip at my heals.

I'm a dog owner, and generally like them, but there's something that happens when I put on some running shoes and jog past them. If I walk by then they're cool, but when I'm jogging something sends them into bezerk mode.

Anyone else notice this?

Its the ski mask and the two cops chasing you that sends them into barking mode

I get the same thing when biking. That's when it's handy to have a water bottle you can squirt the doggie in the face with. :lol: A dog nipping at your heels at 20 mph is a dangerous situation.

And since I've got you on the line, what is it with runners running in the lane of traffic in the wrong direction? I get that they want to see cars coming but recently it seems that when there are more than one runner, they will be IN the lane of traffic and want to play chicken with me, a car. Surely they can move over near the curb or get on the sidewalk. Why don't runners run on the sidewalk?

I know this may sound hypocritical coming from a cyclists that rides with traffic but this is different.:roll:

I thought that pedestrians were supposed to travel against traffic, and bikes travel with traffic.

I sometimes run more towards the center of the road on empty residential roads, mainly because of the crown of the road (the way that the road is sloped down on the sides to allow rainwater to run off). I find that running on a really sloped road, where your right leg is higher than your left makes my knees hurt. If you move to the flatter middle of the road then you're good to go.

Having said all that, I'd much prefer to run on the sidewalk - it's safer and easier. Running with cars around makes me nervous (there are 3 bars along my normal route...)

A dogs natural instinct is to chase pray, if your running that kicks in an instinct for them to chase you. I've had dogs begin to chase me, but as soon as I turn around and run at them like I'm gonna rip their heads off they turn tail. Good idea for a runner or a cyclist is to carry a squirt gun filled with lemon juice, once they get a taste of that or it gets in their eyes it's game over.

I've taken up running lately, and I've noticed more and more though how many dogs love to bark at, follow, or generally act aggressive towards me while I'm running. More and more often I go out and dogs will run the length of their yards barking at me, or if the owner is walking them on the sidewalk they'll try and nip at my heals.

I'm a dog owner, and generally like them, but there's something that happens when I put on some running shoes and jog past them. If I walk by then they're cool, but when I'm jogging something sends them into bezerk mode.

Anyone else notice this?

You sweat bacon?

Naw it is a serious issue. There has been several times on a ride a dog or two chased me for some distance.

drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/why_runners_steer_clear_of_dogs

www.petswelcome.com/articles/how-to-stop-your-dog-from-chasing-joggers.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that pedestrians were supposed to travel against traffic, and bikes travel with traffic.

... (there are 3 bars along my normal route...)
You are correct with the pedestrian/bike info.

With three bars on your route It's more of a biathelon than a run. :lol:

A dogs natural instinct is to chase pray, if your running that kicks in an instinct for them to chase you. I've had dogs begin to chase me, but as soon as I turn around and run at them like I'm gonna rip their heads off they turn tail. Good idea for a runner or a cyclist is to carry a squirt gun filled with lemon juice, once they get a taste of that or it gets in their eyes it's game over.

X2

I'm a professional dog walker, all my dogs are good but they all weren't in the beginning. It took me two weeks to train A Great Dane to not aggressively run at and bark at cyclists/joggers. Most (not all) professionals are good. The worst thing you can do is show any kind of fear, this will even set a good pack off. (I understand some may not be able to not do this) when ever I see cyclist/joggers coming I call my pack to the side of the trail. For the most part they do as they are told but you know what really works? I just run my self and the pack always follows! Pack leader running trumps the everything else :) typically people thank me but every now and then I still get an irate u know what lol 90% of the time my pack(s) ignore cyclists/joggers.

People who are at the park just walking their own dogs we refer to them as the civilians! Most often those are who you need to watch out for!

Want to try and walk my dog?he will chase anything that moves faster than him,and I only walk,so every car,jogger,atv it dont matter he is going for it..lol

Lol my old dog 110 lbs Shepard mastiff cross was like that when I first got her she had issues that I quickly straighten out ;)

Terry, it must be your loooooong legs...... LOL. My little dog is the friendliest dog you ever want to meet, except when he sees bikes and motorcycles. I don't know what sets him of but when he sees or hears a motorcycle or sees a bike ( even if the bike rests against something with no rider) he just goes nuts. On the other hand, he loves to ride in my open YJ with his Doggles on. Go figure......

It's all that blinding flesh!

That's probably what it is! Heck we can turn Terry into a liveing legend if we all put our heads togeather." Ole chicken leg Terry", out run any dog east of va beach.

I've noticed this too. it usually makes me super nervous cuz I got bit by a dog when I was younger. it's hard to fight the urge to kick the crap out of them when they're running straight towards me.

I've noticed this too. it usually makes me super nervous cuz I got bit by a dog when I was younger. it's hard to fight the urge to kick the crap out of them when they're running straight towards me.

I'm sure as hell not gonna run, you run you dont have a chance they well be on your butt. Be scared as hell but you best stand your ground or charge directly at the animal. In that situation you have nothing to loose.

The first time I charged an attacking dog. I was walking down the street and this pit bull was barking at me from his fenced in yard. I didnt think anything of it, the dog was in a fenced yard. Then I heard a clinking noise , turned around and that pit bull was purched on top of the fence. there wasnt more then 70 feet between us. He jumped off that fence and comen straight at me, I just charged straight at him expecting a fight. The dog turned around and jumped back over to his side of the fence. You never know what well happen in a situation ,but expect the worst.

I gotta share this story . Friends of mine have 2 Mountain fiest dogs and one of them has hated me from day one, and still does. When I go to visit the dog is all teeth and growls. I decided to try to make friends with the dog, I had never done anything to it,it just did not like me.
Started takeing slim jims with me to give to the dog, after a few times when the dog knew I had snacks her attitude changed dramatically. No snarls just a happy looking dog looking for a snack. As soon as the snacks was gone ,it was back to her snarling and barking at me.
I decided to take it a step further and see if she would take the snack out of my hand. Damn right i was nervous doing this,she would be barking and growling and showing her teeth. But the closer I got to her with the snack in my hand she focused more on the snack. and took it from my fingers very carefully.
It totally surprised me and her owners, When ever I am in the house that dog well just sit there and have a low growl the entire time I am there. But I can hand feed it. Figure that one out.

Back