piece of crap tow strap!!!!

Jeepster05

This morning me and a buddy took our jeeps out to a trail just north of Raleigh, NC. I left mine behind because of my stupid carb problem, and rode shotgun in my friends orange 78 CJ5. We both had our tops off so it got a little messy. but anyway he got hung up on some logs on the path which were perfectly spaced apart to catch a short wheelbase vehicle like a jeep. to make things worse the stick shift popped out of the transmission don't ask me how. So we trecked about 2 miles back to my YJ and drove it out there, tied em up with 2 straps one with loops and one with hooks. I got to tuggin and after about 5 attempts I hear a SNAP and then a bang (sounded like a 12 guage). I get out and go around back to find a massive dent placed perfectly in the middle of my tail gate. Tore off most of the paint and made a dent about an inch deep. We ended up breaking both straps and had to call his dad who brought over my friends ram (the CJ was his dad's) and eventually got him out. But I freaked when I saw that dent :-x I guess i'll put some puddy in there and try to match up the paint which will be a little hard since my paint is aftermarket pearl white. [addsig]

If you get a good paint guy and do the whole tailgate, you´d probably have to be standing in just the right light to see the difference in paint tone. But heck I´ve rarley seen a Jeep used off road that didn´t have a few dings and dents.
When something like that happens, seriously, I´m thankful the dent wasn´t in the back of your head. Sheet metal is sheet meatal and can be replaced, skulls are a little harder to come by.
I´ve still got a line of small dents across my hood and a few on the roof of my pick-up. The guy I gave the end of the chain to, neglected to put on the two washers I gave him with the nut and bolt. We are both at fault, me for trusting him and me for not doing it myself. And probably for using a chain in the first place. I don´t know how, but I´m sure glad it missed the windshield and that I insisted my son and other spectatotrs stand way back and that they listened.
Over the years, I´ve seen a few guys yank off there bumpers, a number of tow hooks snap, numerous straps snap and an assortment of chains and such fail. Towing is dangerous business.[addsig]

falkn lucky man... you could have been seriously hurt.. i'm glad to here it was just the tail gate... your probably choked but think of it as the better of the two.. i'm glad you were'nt hurt.. cheers..[addsig]

and its also better to fix a metal dent than to replace a window (if you had one, but my XJ does)[addsig]

also, i'm gonna cut the hooks off my hooked-tow-strap and just tie nots in the end... those hooks are a BITCH![addsig]

Back