The cheapest way to make an old CJ5 ride much better. Worked for me!

flatie46

A while back I picked up a couple of bags of concrete mix at lowes thru them in the back of the Jeep. On the way home I couldn't help but notice how much better it rode. Mine has an old leaf spring lift that just seems way too stiff. Anyway today at work we were cleaning up and I found a Scrap piece of steel that was 2"x 3" thick and 35" long. It weighed 80lbs, sooo I took it out and put it in the very back. Drove home and was very satisfied with the modification. I think it will become a permanate fixture in my old CJ. The suspension actually goes up and down when I hit a bump instead of just jarring my teeth.
There are things I could do to help it out but I just haven't got to them yet. Been tinkering with my Scrambler, I'm sure it'll ride better. Lol

When I had the "58 CJ I used it to plow in the winter. I had a 6" diameter pipe about 5' long that I would fill with sand & bolt to the back of the frame for balast while plowing.It weighed about 120lBs. The Jeep rode like a Caddy til spring when the plow mount & balast would come off....then it was back to bouncing down the road.
Just make sure you secure that weight in the back of your CJ....it could go airbourne in a wreck & be a heck of a headache.

Yea I was thinking about that. I'll be building a tube bumper for the rear soon, maybe I'll incorperate a sand fill hole. What probably made mine even worse is that it has no back seat, rear bumper or spare. When I get these things mounted it'll really help I'm sure.

actually, haven't seen anyone lately doing this, but.... back when we had the shop in the 70's, we used to put Teflon between each leaf on your leaf springs.. buy the Teflon material, cut it in long lengths, take your springs apart, put a sheet between each leaf.. doesn't matter how stiff they were, or how high your lift is, the Teflon will make the springs WORK for you, smoother and better action than you've ever had..

actually, haven't seen anyone lately doing this, but.... Back when we had the shop in the 70's, we used to put teflon between each leaf on your leaf springs.. Buy the teflon material, cut it in long lengths, take your springs apart, put a sheet between each leaf.. Doesn't matter how stiff they were, or how high your lift is, the teflon will make the springs work for you, smoother and better action than you've ever had..

genius

This sounds good to me. Where do you get do you get teflon to do it? My next step is to put the winch on the front. I think that big old antique boat anchor should help pre-load the front springs.

we used to buy it at hobby stores, craft stores.. not sure anymore, haven't looked for it, but.. you could also use Teflon spray on coating if you can find that.. probably have to do a web search.. I'll check with my old partner to see if he remembers.. heck, that was 40 years ago.. but it sure worked good.. got a note back this morning from George, said "We did two things. On Broncos and others with air bags we used a spray. On Jeeps we used a plastic strip, about 1/16th of an inch thick, 2" wide and 3 or 4 inches long. I think we got them from 4 Wheel Parts. As I recall, both made a big difference."

Last edited:
Back