Can anyone tell me what this is?

joebugg

Going to look at another TJ tomorrow to replace the one I totaled recently. My last one was mostly stock. Can anyone tell me what the 3rd shifter is to in this picture? I guess one is for the 4 wheel drive but unsure about the other one.

image-2274261265.jpg

Is that for putting it in front wheel drive,rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive?

Is that for putting it in front wheel drive,rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive?

It basically turns a single stick gate into a twin stick gate. One stick will select 2wd/4wd and the second will select HI/Lo range. The Dana 18 t-case found in earlier jeeps used the same system.
The WW2 MB & GPW had an data plate on the dash as did all 4 by and 6 by MV's (military vehicles) illustrating the shift pattern ; IN - OUT & LO - HI . So, in effect , you would be going from rear wheel drive to all wheel drive , selectively.

Last edited:
It basically turns a single stick gate into a twin stick gate. One stick will select 2wd/4wd and the second will select HI/Lo range.
Are you sure? My understanding was one stick was Hi/N/Lo for the front axle and one was Hi/N/Lo for the rear axle. How else would front digs be possible?

Are you sure? My understanding was one stick was Hi/N/Lo for the front axle and one was Hi/N/Lo for the rear axle. How else would front digs be possible?
I tend to agree with bounty hunter, With my limited knowledge of the older jeeps, you could make it just useing front wheel drive if you chose. But the only problem I see in bounty hunters understanding of it . Is there would have to be some mechanism built into it, so as some yahoo couldnt be running it with the rear in 4 high and the front in 4 low.:?|

Ok guys , I will respect your post(s) questioning my belief of " what those levers are for" .
A better question to ask is what transfer case this jeep is running . If it were to control front and rear output independently , I don't think it would be a stock case as I haven't heard of a jeep TJ with the independent output that can be selected this way. Even an NP242 cannot be controlled separately in part time or full time with shifters in stock form so this jeep most probably has an after market t-case as RudeDog said. The shifters I spoke of is an after market kit ( don't remember the name or vendor) that replaces the single stick that you see in the Dana 18 or 20 with two shafts . It was just a conversion to give the appearance of the old twin stick four wheel systems that older jeeps had. But the shifter I spoke of did not not change the function ( output of front or rear) of the t-case. So if this jeep does have the Atlas 2 , then obviously you've got more selection with its manual trans when you grab a gear off road for different conditions at different speeds. I'd like to know which transfer case this jeep has. I know stock t-cases such as the Dana 18 and 20 and the new process 231 and 242 and the NP case my old '78 K10 blazer came with ( full time ) . Would like to research a little more on the Atlas 2 .

Last edited:
As far as MV's go , the only transfer case that worked differently than a traditional t-case was in a 6 by . Don't remember which truck ( GMC , Chevy , IHC or Studebaker) but in what we regard as 2wd mode , it powered the front most rear axle and in 4wd mode, it powered the second rear axle and front axle too. There were three driveshafts. How'd you like to lube all those u-joints ?
but of course there was no differential unit in the t-case or way to select front only drive . Either you drove with one axle engaged or three .

GENNYBRO has got a point , a person would need to be careful , I would think , to be careful of what gear ratio they would select front and/or rear . I would think you don't want to use a high rear and low front ratio or visa versa at the same time as you may be risking possibly throwing a drive shaft ? That possible ?

Let me start this off by saying I'm no expert. The atlas t-case is gear driven as opposed to the np series t-case's in more modern Jeep which are chain driven. The reason for it being gear driven is strength as well as the twin stick setup that does engage each axle independently, allowing all sorts of useful combinations: 2 wheel drive low, front wheel drive hi/low. There is even a new 4 speed atlas that allows two different low ranges.
As far as the old Spicer 18, it had two levers but one lever engaged the t-case while the other lever selected hi neutral low. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for pointing that out eric m. The Atlas t-case seems to be a very selective case , 2 wheel AND 4 wheel . The NEW 4 speed Atlas seems more so ! I'm old school at 4 wheel but I could so appreciate more versatility two wheel AND four wheel . I just know that if joebugg gets this jeep , he will definately have a ball with it . With that kind of gear ratio at hand , you could really fully utilize engine torque efficiently in all conditions. Hope he gets it , would like to see a full write up on its functionality. Just sounds awesome !
P.S.- your description of the spicer 18 t-case was completely accurate . Wish I could find a print from my old MIKITARY VEHICLESS magazines of a data plate to show .

make sure you ASK the person you are buying from. there are multiple setups that use dual stick transfer cases, some are simply gimmicks that look neat, to others that are heavy duty and hard core, like the Atlas Tcase... Ive even seen some dual stick setups where the second stick operated front and rear diff locks simultaneously. So don't speculate, Ask the seller. There are just too many people that have the skills and abilities to build custom setups.

And was never closed by the OP hence the discussion is left open as a point of reference for others. Had the OP replied with an answer on what the shifter/transfer case actually was, it would have been a different story.

Hmmmmmm:scratch: Ok! :)

People always forget that these sites are linked to the most popular search engines, and when someone types in a search, they come up. personally I find it irritating as hell when an incomplete thread comes up. Its very rude of the OP to leave it hanging there. So when possible someone needs to fill in the blanks. that way we all don't end up sitting with our finger in an uncomfortable place. with no charmin within reach... if you know what I mean...

Back