Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Ford’s Global VP/Marketing and Sales, Jim Farley, said something both sinister and obvious during a panel discussion about data privacy today at CES, the big electronics trade show in Las Vegas.

Because of the GPS units installed in Ford vehicles, Ford knows when its drivers are speeding, and where they are while they’re doing it.

Farley was trying to describe how much data Ford has on its customers, and illustrate the fact that the company uses very little of it in order to avoid raising privacy concerns: “We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you’re doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you’re doing. By the way, we don’t supply that data to anyone,” he told attendees.

Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car - Business Insider

Big Brother is here, and he has been here for a while. Unbeknowst by the public.

Big Brother is here, and he has been here for a while. Unbeknowst by the public.

I think the real problem is that everyone knows it. Some people care, but not in enough numbers to dissuade companies from tracking / using this data. There's a real incentive for companies to track us - if Ford knows every business that I pass on my daily commute, how many miles I drive a year, and my driving style then there's money to made from that data, either by selling it, or by using it in-house.

I wish that we would clamp down on privacy they way that the Germans have done. From what I've read, their past governmental experiences have made them very wary of big data collection, and they've put plenty of laws in place to prevent it.

With the Snowden issue, I'm up in the air about if he is friend or foe. Or maybe both,Maybe he just got the ball rolling as to what is happening to us, as the public

Some one correct me if I am mistaken. But didn't Thomas Jefferson break the law By Assembling a group of folks togeather to sign the Decleration of independence. Then all hell broke loose, but look what we have now. A PROUD NATION.

Back