What happens the week leading up to the King of the Hammers race?

GenRight Off Road

Our President, Tony Pellegrino, will be driving the #4485 Ultra4 Pro class car in next Friday's big race. So the question I asked was, what's the week leading up to the race like?

It's Thursday night and Tony is driving the RV and the trailer with the car out to the Hammers. The total weight of the RV and trailer is 43k pounds!! That's a lot of machine and gear and that's not everything!! There's another trailer heading out there tomorrow with even more parts and supplies.

So today, the engine tuner was out at the shop and Tony made some runs in the car and they did some fine tuning on the motor. Tony said there are about 40 businesses nearby and everyone was outside watching! Full throttle runs up to (I can't say because it probably wasn't legal) make some noise!

After the tuning session, Tony loaded up the car and hit the road. I spoke to him a few minutes ago and he sounded energized, excited and optimistic. He's ready to go!!

After he gets there tonight, he'll set up the RV, unload the car and get a few heat cycles into the gears. One sentence but a LOT of work!!

Tomorrow morning, the racers can register and get the course map. They'll get hard copies and chips for thier GPS. He'll then review the course with some trusted team members and come up with a game plan. Do they know the course well? Are some of the parts the reverse of what they normally run? Where are the remote pits? After the strategy session, Tony will go out with his co-driver, Bryan Lyttle, and prerun the course at about 50%. Tony will familiarize himself with the course and Bryan will take detailed notes.

On Saturday, they'll go out and prerun the course again, this time at 80%. Did anything change on the course? Do they need to make any changes to the car? They'll go back, debrief and discuss any necessary changes to the car. Saturday night and Sunday they'll make those changes.

Sunday they'll rest.

If they make any changes to the car, they'll go out on Monday and run at least 100 miles to make sure the changes are an improvement and that there are no issues.

Tuesday Tony will qualify during Power Hour, between 3pm and 4pm.

Wednesday, the team will fix anything that broke during qualifying, fix any issues, change fluids, nut and bolt the car and make sure it is ready to go for Friday.

Thursday, Tony's son will race for the first time in the #4585 EMC Mod Class Jeep.

Friday morning is a 5am wake up call, 6am Driver Line Up and at 8am the race begins. You can follow the race live on our website. We'll have the feed from the Hammers and the in car radio from the 4485 car.

This is it. Tony said he's been waiting a year to get back out there. This is the biggest one day, off road event in the country. Countless hours and dollars are spent trying to win this one. Who will be the King this year? I know who I'm pulling for!!

Here's the official schedule: http://ultra4racing.com/the-inside-line/2014-koh-week-schedule/

Questions? Let me know and I'll see if I can get answers for you. This is my first time seeing "behind the curtain" and I've been amazed at what goes into this race.

Last edited:
So everyone (except me) is out there now. Tony and Jordan both preran the entire course on Saturday. Tony said "both race rigs are running good and strong!". He said there are some new sections for this year's course and parts of it are very rough.

Sunday they'll be trying some "new tires". Don't ask. I have no idea what that means. Maybe a different compound? They'll also watch the King of the Motos on Sunday.

Monday they'll prerun the qualifying course. More to come..............

Like GenRight on Facebook for more updates and you can watch the events live on this page: King of the Hammers 2014 Events and Schedule

I'll be out there on Tuesday so I'll have more info then. If you're in Hammertown stop by our booth and ask for Chris. I'd love to put a face with the screen names!

I'm getting ready to fly out and I'm having some laptop issues, but the camera still works so we'll figure it out.

I'm watching the Backdoor Shootout and I'm sure I'm not going to be able to sleep! King of the Hammers 2014 Events and Schedule

I'll be arriving in Hammertown sometime late afternoon/early evening on Tuesday. Stop by the GenRight booth and ask for Chris.

And cheer on all the GenRight racers this week! I can't wait to see all the races!!

Back