2016 Wrangler - do you think it will be IFS or Solid Axle

Will the 2016 Wrangler have solid axles?

• Jeep will keep the existing solid axle setup

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Jeep will move to an independent suspension.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Sergio Marchionne (head of Fiat) has made a few remarks lately that they need to get the weight down on the next version of the Wrangler. I've read reports that there may be aluminum body panels, as well as an IFS setup replacing the solid axle. Here is one of the sources:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...l-lighter-wrangler-lose-its-tough-solid-axle#

So what do you guys think? Will Jeep risk messing up the secret sauce while Wranglers are flying off the shelves, or will they stick with what they know?

Yes, sooner or later it'll happen . Aside from what the article said we all know Chrysler has walked a fine line of success with the Jeep for a very long time & you can't have ( or even maintain) success without some failure. So, in saying that, they're gonna try it. And, when they do I'm sure sales will drop drastically. I just hope regulations don't push the Jeep into extinction.

Lets see they took a knife to Dana 44 front axle...now its a piece of....(I will be nice) ...its a driving nightmare, just to shave 50lbs they made one of the best out of the box axles nearly worthless. The costs just to get it not to bends with 35's you can buy a G2 and have it delivered. Aluminum panels....no don't let them put alum as skids and other protection places. Good Gowd they are killing the jeep.

don't let them put alum as skids and other protection places.

I've never owned an aluminium skid plate, but I always thought they were (or, could be - depending on the type of aluminium used) as strong as steel but without the weight. Is the fear that Jeep will use cheap aluminium?

The problem lies in the aluminum. When it hits a hard obstacle it dents in because it is soft material. Then you start to drag it across. The aluminum starts to gouge up (galling) it tears along the scrape, rolling the torn aluminum bits along and this is its problem. It requires more torque to pull it along or over the obstacle, thus digging deeper into the aluminum. Most quality skids use aluminum for the sides and gussets but use steel for the main contact points. Something jeep wont think of.

Back