New truck fuel standards on the way for 2016

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
President Obama directed federal agencies Tuesday to develop and issue new medium- and heavy-duty vehicle fuel-efficiency and greenhouse-gas standards by March 2016. The new rules would build on standards passed in 2011 that are already projected to save vehicle owners and operators $50 billion in fuel costs and 530 million barrels of oil for the lifetime of models built from 2014 to 2018, according to the White House.

"Five years ago we set out to end our reliance on foreign oil and today America is closer to energy independence than it has been in decades," Mr. Obama said in an address at a Safeway distribution center in Upper Marlboro, Md., standing in front of one of the company's new fuel-efficient truck. "One of the reasons why is because we dedicated ourselves to manufacturing new cars and trucks that go farther on a gallon of gas. That saves families money, cuts down on harmful pollution and creates new technologies."

In his first term, Obama doubled fuel-economy standards for cars and light trucks, which the White House says will save consumers $1.7 trillion at the pump and slash greenhouse gas emissions by 6.6 billion tons over the life of the program.

From Obama tightens truck fuel standards. Why efficiency matters. (+video) - CSMonitor.com

It's a bunch of mularky. Todays emision standards have doubled fuel consumption on new trucks and generator plants. The company that i work for relies heavily on diesel run equipment and the epa has demanded that they change over to comply with them. When it costs my boss more money to operate it takes away from any raise that i might have gotten otherwise. And raising prices for the consumer. YOU. All this bull $hit that the government has pushed on us sounds good politicaly, But in the real world, It's costing us a lot of money.

Rant over.

I am in total agreement with steady.foot , government requirements are literally costing more money to consumers , industry and manufacture. Here in New York , in the transportation industry for public transportation , it has trickled down to the consumer in terms of fare increase . The customer pays more to make up for the increase in fuel cost from the supplier . The authority which runs the transportation service must be in full compliance with government standard emmissions requirements therefore must run a fleet of emmissions compliant equiptment and vehicles. The equiptment and vehicles are hundreds of thousands of dollars more than those used ten years ago or more . New York State has been steadily increasing the fare on buses , trains and bridge crossings many times over my 25 years in service for NYCT . This only , in my opinion , increases profit for friends of the whitehouse ( BIG BUSINESS ) sold under a label called emmissions compliant in accordance to emmissions standard laws which are violated by industry regardless . The more points we must comply with in regards to emmissions compliance , the more big industry dosen't have to. So , in the end , the jeep you paid less than $10,000 twenty years ago is now costing You over $20.000 today because of these standards . Ok , we know other refinements and safety standards add to the price tag due to , as it is said our sport is so dangerous , jeeps have to be manufactured safer or we join the gang that sues mcdonalds for not telling that styrofoam cups contain hot liquid and can scald you , but take a look under the hood !
prior to the 1980s , a jeep had a non-vented gas cap and a PCV valve , not much more.
Now , you got four O2 sensors and a comprehensive , complicated computer operated fuel and ignition system that is ever harder to be maintained by the owner. You pay much more for the vehicle , more to maintain it and higher insurance to drive it. That's your tax dollars at work .
My union tells us to vote democratic to save our jobs , who does your boss tell you to vote for ?
republicans are for big business , so does that put us between a rock and a hard place without a tree to winch out with ?

Back