New 2015 Jeep Renegade

. Just wonder how that fancy nine speed will fair ! May make an interesting swap some day in the future !

There was a lot real problems with them if it was made before June 2015..after seems more like programming issues which took them almost 2 years to figure out in the Cherokee

Yeah, not crazy about the 9 speed. I think they will have some programming to update. When I was cruising at 70-75, my mpg was around 20. I popped into manual, and it was in 7th gear. When I put it into 8th, mpg rose to around 22-24. So why wasn't it in 8th to begin with?

Also, highway rating on these is supposed to be 29. Maybe after break in period it'll rise? Idk, buy mpg is not impressive.

Yeah, not crazy about the 9 speed. I think they will have some programming to update. When I was cruising at 70-75, my mpg was around 20. I popped into manual, and it was in 7th gear. When I put it into 8th, mpg rose to around 22-24. So why wasn't it in 8th to begin with?

Also, highway rating on these is supposed to be 29. Maybe after break in period it'll rise? Idk, buy mpg is not impressive.

We averaged 23 mpg with a mixture of city and highway on long trips we got 29 mpg cruising at 75 mph.. The problem I had was it won't go into 9 th hear until 72 mph and top speed in PA is 70 mph..with you having a trail hawk everything is a little different. Yours will actually start in 2 nd gear..1 st gear is a low range for rock mode only.. Your mpg will be a lower also final gear ration is lower in the TH

We averaged 23 mpg with a mixture of city and highway on long trips we got 29 mpg cruising at 75 mph.. The problem I had was it won't go into 9 th hear until 72 mph and top speed in PA is 70 mph..with you having a trail hawk everything is a little different. Yours will actually start in 2 nd gear..1 st gear is a low range for rock mode only.. Your mpg will be a lower also final gear ration is lower in the TH
Most people are not used to a 9 speed, so the first reaction to it is usually not a good one since it is very noticeable.

The highway rating is based under perfect weather conditions and around 60MPH, as this is the peak of the MPG. You will most certainly notice a drop in fuel mileage the further you go over 60.

Most people are not used to a 9 speed, so the first reaction to it is usually not a good one since it is very noticeable.

The highway rating is based under perfect weather conditions and around 60MPH, as this is the peak of the MPG. You will most certainly notice a drop in fuel mileage the further you go over 60.

If MPG is based off of 60MPH then it kind of doesn't apply to a renegade since that would only be 7th gear around 1800 rpm but at 72 mph when it finally gets into 9th you will be at 1500 rpm would that not give better MPG

Good question.

You are better off driving a little slower while in 8th gear, than reaching speeds where you will shift into 9th gear.

To bring the vehicle from 70 to 75MPH, you need more power to overcome air drag losses, which increase the speed (and fuel). Not to mention the amount of fuel you will need when you require to adjust the speed will all come into play, which makes it even more complicated, but we will ignore that part of the things for simplicity sake. The faster the engine is turning, basically the more fuel you will consume.

Even if you force the vehicle into 9th gear at 70MPH, your RPM's would be too low and you will be lugging down the engine making the MPG's worse.

You may be slightly correct, the 60MPH base has been that way for a long time and the 9 speeds are still fairly new. I have heard of people being able to keep maximum MPG up to 70MPH in the 9 speed Cherokee, this would probably apply to the Renegade as well.

But a simple answer to your question is no. 1500 RPM is just not optimal for fuel mileage. Every vehicle is different, but there is a specific "sweet spot" where the engine is performing optimal, i.e., how many times the engine is turning and how much fuel it is burning. The "sweet spot" is generally around 2500, but like I said earlier it is way more complicated than keeping RPMS at a certain point. Weight, air drag, gravity, weather, gear ratios, rams, etc. etc. all come into play.

A lot of people don't understand "highway MPG". Working at a dealership I run into this question a lot. People don't realize you cannot go 80MPH+ and see maximum MPG, it's just not realistic. If you were to see MPG on a chart, based out over MPH, you will see the chart is actually pretty bumpy and the maximum MPG (under a realistic scenario) is almost always around 60MPH, and anything up from there will generally get lower and lower the faster you go.

There is an optimal speed/rpm for 9th gear for the best MPG for that specific gear. However the optimal point for MPG in 8th gear will be slightly better than 9th.

Back