Help Me Pick A Jeep?

MudOnMyTires

Hi All!

So I used to have a 99 Jeep Cherokee with 8 inch lift on 35's, long arm, etc. It was a blast to drive and i've never forgiven myself for selling it!

So now i'm looking for a newer Wrangler, hopefully a manual (could go either way, opinions?), lifted and with low miles. Price point is $20k-ish. I understand the older straight sixes are popular, but I really want something newer and more reliable. Something I can daily but also play with from time to time. I am hearing that the newer Jeeps are less reliable and not built as well, is that true?... Also, i'll continue to do my own research, but any info you can provide on the differences between each model, as well as your thoughts on models and years that I should focus on would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn

I am hearing that the newer Jeeps are less reliable and not built as well, is that true?

Not sure where you are hearing that but I don't think that is true at all. Do newer jeeps have more on them that can go wrong? Sure. More electronics and such but I don't think they are any less reliable than any other vehicle their age. The older the vehicle the more work you will have to put into it and that's a fact. As any car gets older then parts start breaking so take that into consideration before you buy. Good luck with your decision.

I believe the less reliable part she is referring to is the 3.8 liter v6 found in the 07-11 jk's. They don't have a good reputation. From what I have read it's mainly the 07-09 models that had the most issues, excessive oil consumption (several quarts within a few hundred miles). With engines failing in as little as 50k miles.

Back