• Bad

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Drones have been in the media media quite a bit lately (I'm referring to civilian stuff, not the rocket launching variety), and I was wondering what you guys thought of them.

I try not to wear my tinfoil hat too tightly, but I'm still not a fan of neighbors / google / sheriff / nsa / big brother flying a robot around my neighborhood.

At the same time I understand that drones can do some pretty cool stuff, like mapping land, making hollywood movies, and looking for missing people.

From what I've heard there will shortly be some more legislation around drones, who can fly them, and where.

I have built 2 450 class "drones" . Technically a quad copter. There's quite a bit of hobbyist out there that loves to fly drones. I also built a 700 class 3d helicopter. It's now getting an upgraded fuselage (Airwolf ) .. To me it's a hobby, flying with or without the GoPro mounted is fun.. Those people that flys their unmanned aircraft with their camera and takes photos or videos of other people in their backyard should be prosecuted..

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

To me, it just depends on the adage 'expectation of privacy'. When we close the curtains to our windows, we have a certain expectation of privacy. Do we have that same expectation outside our home when viewed from above?

Manned Helicopters and airplanes aren't restricted on flying and photography, why should un-manned aircraft be?

To me, it just depends on the adage 'expectation of privacy'. When we close the curtains to our windows, we have a certain expectation of privacy. Do we have that same expectation outside our home when viewed from above?

Manned Helicopters and airplanes aren't restricted on flying and photography, why should un-manned aircraft be?

But would you want to see someone's "drone" hovering above your yard videotaping you or your children?

Definitely creepy but there's no expectation of privacy outside the home. Neighbors can record from their property line. Any law created on this will be tough to enforce.

My thoughts exactly. Laws can be created but only the law abiding citizens are likely to follow them. In my opinion, if the property owner for example has a " privacy fence " my common sense tells me that the property owner wants their privacy within the confines of that fence. We can't own air or the waters on a river where homes are built on both sides of the water but we can fly over in a safe altitude or row our boats on the water without physically setting foot or landing on the soil even if the owner of the property owns half that river adjacent to the house across that river. There's quite a bit of points to contest in this matter when ones privacy is in question whether or not it's been violated. Some people who just picks up the hobby and don't care about other people's feelings towards privacy or worse, safety are the ones that gives the other hobbyist a bad reputation. I fly my quad and helicopter in my neighborhood once in a while but I don't fly over populated areas or my neighbors property for both reasons. I find it more fun to fly at night when I can see the flashing lights.

The typical problem is that the average person today lacks common sense and lacks respect for other people. Hence why people want more laws to restrict the law obiding citizen, yet will do nothing to stop the problem.

Do we have that same expectation outside our home when viewed from above?

I know there is no legal expectation of privacy, however I do think that people desire some - think of all the privacy fences that have been build.

As to airplanes and helicopters, there is a significant barrier of entry to using those to spy on people. Once you own a helicopter the fuel cost would likely keep you from from constantly hovering outside my bathroom window. That all changes when you can put a camera in the air for a couple of grand one time, and the cost of a battery charge.

As far as drones equiped with cameras on them flying over my property, in my air space, should be fare game for my 12 gauge. With out a search warrent , what right do a person have to spy on me with there drone.

As far as drones equiped with cameras on them flying over my property, in my air space, should be fare game for my 12 gauge. With out a search warrent , what right do a person have to spy on me with there drone.
Warrants only apply to the government, not your average Joe with a hobbyist drone.

You may own or rent the land you're on, but you don't own air space.

You may own or rent the land you're on, but you don't own air space.

That's not exactly true. According to the Supreme Court you (the landowner) own the first 83 feet of airspace over your home. Airspace over 500 feet is considered public domain, and the air between is a sort of grey area that the FAA is currently trying to regulate.

You can read more here - Drone Wars: Who Owns The Air? : Planet Money : NPR

Nope! But I do have a you tube video somewhere a while back of my quad"drone" and a video of my 4 1/2 foot Heli that I built.

I believe drones (don't like that name) let's call them what they are,
"quadcopters", Are getting a bad wrap from ignorant people who think this technology will put an end to their privacy. SERIOUSLY! They obviously have no Idea how difficult it would be to even try using it to do that. Besides, who wants to waste their time. How many of your neighbors are worth it?
Quads are the coolest RC around.
I own three of varying sizes. The bigger they are the more stable the flight. Buy a 450 and have some fun.

Keep it out of my airspace, and we shall get along just fine.

what about a "preditor drone" to take them out?

Back