Newbie looking for experienced opinions on what to buy...

Gordon Smith

I'm likely going to get a Sahara Unlimited - maybe 2-3 years old. I want a jeep that can handle off-roading well (not just dirt roads, but doing some rock climbs and rugged dry creek beds, etc.). However, I'll also be using this as a family vehicle although as a secondary. Therefore I need it to be comfortable and have some nicer touches (hence the Sahara choice).

I'm assuming I'll want a 2" lift and good tires to handle sharp rocks off-road in the Arizona desert. I had assumed that I should get a hard top to help with noise and heating/cooling. I've been told by others that soft tops may actually be the better choice for both. I have flashbacks to older jeeps where the plastic side windows were yellow and warped. What is YOUR opinion to get and why?

I do like the idea of having a soft top so I can drive N miles somewhere and THEN remove the top -vs- having to leave it at home due to not having a place to store the hard top away from home. However, if having a soft top means a loud ride in general I'd lean towards the hard top.

Soft tops on newer Jeeps aren't noisy, and it sounds like you'll need to drop the top on a whim.

Stick with 2012 or newer to get the stronger engine.

3" lift and 35" tires is a good combo on the JK.

Research it a bit it is not always as easy as lift and tires. Just so you know the costs you are getting into.

Many jeeps set up properly will be safe on trail and road.

Newest soft tops for later jeeps look at a lot better, yellowing and warp issues are not concern anymore, see some good ones like of Bestops
Jeep Tops
Go for skyjacker or teraflex for lift, the good ones for smooth riding.

The stock soft top on my 05 is in good shape. Windows are not yellowed nor are they scratched severely.

Like everything, if you take care of what you have, it lasts a long time.

More noise comes thru the body & from the exhaust underneath than thru the top.

Last edited:
Arizona offers some very interesting trails and problems. The rocks out here are sharp and steep. 35's are a good choice. But think about adding lockers as well, since most good trails require one or two.

Been living here in AZ with just a soft top for over 5 years with no problems.

I vote for soft top as well. Most people I know that have hard tops never take them off (it really takes two guys or a hoist to get them on or off), and once you do you have to store it (hard for apartment guys).

I'd also suggest wheeling it a few times before doing any upgrades. You may find that it works fine right out of the box.

I'm likely going to get a Sahara Unlimited - maybe 2-3 years old. I want a jeep that can handle off-roading well (not just dirt roads, but doing some rock climbs and rugged dry creek beds, etc.). However, I'll also be using this as a family vehicle although as a secondary. Therefore I need it to be comfortable and have some nicer touches (hence the Sahara choice).

I'm assuming I'll want a 2" lift and good tires to handle sharp rocks off-road in the Arizona desert. I had assumed that I should get a hard top to help with noise and heating/cooling. I've been told by others that soft tops may actually be the better choice for both. I have flashbacks to older jeeps where the plastic side windows were yellow and warped. What is YOUR opinion to get and why?

I do like the idea of having a soft top so I can drive N miles somewhere and THEN remove the top -vs- having to leave it at home due to not having a place to store the hard top away from home. However, if having a soft top means a loud ride in general I'd lean towards the hard top.

How about a 2013 with under 5k miles? Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 4 door lifted

Back