What battery should I buy?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've been running the same optima yellow top for about 10 years now (no lie!). With the latest cold weather, it's apparent that I'm going to need to replace it. I'm happy to buy another yellow top, but wanted to check in and see if there was a new go-to battery these days.

So, what do you guys recommend? Anything better than an optima?

I've been running 2 red top optima on my CJ for over 10 yrs. they hold up good. I don't know of any other batteries that can beat that.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

I'm in the same boat, needing a battery for my TJ 2002 6cyl Sahara. So I'm watching this thread.

Interestingly, Optima has two listings for Yellow Tops. The listing for a Wrangler with a 6 cyl is different than the listing for a TJ with a 6 cyl. Anyone know what the difference is? One of the batteries has both top and side posts and the other just top posts. Dimensions are different too. I'd just measure the existing battery but I'm not convinced that it is "factory" size as it was replaced just before I bought the Jeep.

I've been running 2 red top optima on my CJ for over 10 yrs. they hold up good. I don't know of any other batteries that can beat that. Sent from my iPad using Jeepz
My OEM battery lasted close to 10 years. It's all about care.

I prefer the Optima BlueTop over the YellowTop. Same dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery as the yellow but has the addition of two stainless studs on the top for accessories and winch hook up.

The yellowtop in my Jeep now (6cyl) is a 34/78. All the sites say it doesn't fit, but it fits snugly in my 2005.
It is a higher CCA then the recommended battery.

Amazon has it for $200 free shipping:
Amazon.com: Optima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery: Automotive

Advance has it for $182 if you buy it online (code TRT30), then pick it up in store
Optima Batteries YellowTop Dual-Purpose Battery, Group 34/78, 750 CCA D34/78-950: Order best Battery at Advance Auto Parts

It is my lucky day. My son works at an autoparts retailer and they have a 30% employee appreciation day and it applies to family members too, so a D34 Yellowtop is coming my way for $167!

I ended up getting the optima yellow top 34/78 for $182

When I went to install the hold down piece I used my Dewalt drill to screw the bold in, and torqued it down so much that I broke the plastic hold down in half.

I had to order a $20 replacement from rockauto :roll:

I wouldn't recommend hooking a winch up to any side posts. Top posts or the stainless studs on top of a BlueTop.

if its lasted that long, and the cold is getting it down, get a battery blanket, and one of those chargers that pulse.. the pulse brings back a lot of batteries, I've brought back dead batteries, and the cold won't effect it with the blanket warmer..

My money is on the Optima Yellow Top . . . the 2nd one is still chugging away since "adopting" my '86 CJ-7 way back in the late 90's.

Optima batteries are not what they used to be. I had a couple of them that I bought in 2000, they lasted a good ten years. I bought a new one in 2011 and it lasted a year and a half. It was replaced under warranty. The replacement lasted just over a year. do some research and you will find I'm not the only one that has had problems with the Optima batteries.

I'vd sure had good luck with Interstate batteries....in cars, boats, etc.

Back