just had some trouble with my lug nuts, figured i'd share...

dingus

Well, i have learned the hard way that the original lug nuts on these here jeeps are 2 piece construction. this means that there is a cover over the actual nut itself, which means bad things can happen. look:
image-missing.png

the shell (on the left) came apart from the part on the right! the two together still for example here:
(tip: use an 18mm socket if yours crack off, that's the right size)
image-missing.png

this is before they separate, notice there is a seam below where the wrench would go on. anyways, i got stranded out with no tools one night kuz i got a flat. i had to hammer a socket over a rounded off lug that had the cap cracked off. the fix? go buy some solid one-piece lugs! i got mine from napa, be about 25 bucks if you want to know price. i picked up a set of locks, so my cost was about $30.

also, many shops use impact guns to tighten your lug nuts. sometimes this makes them VERY difficult to remove; i'd suggest going over your own just to make sure you are capable of removing them so that you don't get stranded somewhere.

-nate
ps. this is also viewable on my website in the tech section. click here for my website[addsig]

oh, and the cool part... i broke 2 craftsman ratchets, and they replaced them! :) i was so proud walking in there with broken tools... they must thing i'm strong or something! :)

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey Dingus, Gettysburg Called They Want Their Cannyons Back.[addsig]

I've been dealin with those darn covers coming off the lugs for a loooong time, luckily I've never had any problem getting a 3/4" socket to still fit, although slightly loose. 18mm would ensure you wouldn't round it off. The only think I've used 18mm for was the bellhousing bolts, otherwise it's a bit of an oddball to carry in the jeep :lol: [addsig]

Ford Ranger has the same sick excuse for lug nutz. Replace em like the man said. As for the Gun's " I just would not have done that " lamo Tug[addsig]

Tug, please tell me you meant LMAO and not LAMO!

Dingus got
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Good advice Dingus. I was putting on a set of lock-lug nuts on my TJ and everything went well until I got to the spare. One of the lugs was just a "nut". Of course it was rusted on and I broke two 3/4" sockets. I had to take the spare tire bracket off WITH the tire still on it which is not supposed to be done!!! I had to grind off the back side of the stuck lug to get it off. So it is good advice to check those lug nuts! I'm just glad I found this problem while I was at home and not on the road.[addsig]

can i make a suggestion to all of yall??? go get an air compressor and an impact wrench!!!! no, really....... i mean it :lol: [addsig]

Allright, thnking back on it, I agree that the post might have been in poor taste. I have since deleted the post. To all who read it and might have gottten offended, I sincerly appologize.

Rob

:p :cool: :) [addsig]

Back