need opinion on 89 yj

Gennybro

Found this jeep on craigs list, went and looked at it today. Tub and frame look to be in pretty good shape. The leaf springs was replaced with coils,front and back. Took it for a little drive on a dirt road, felt every bump there was. Put it in first gear to check out its creeper gear,stalled out going up a small hill . Was told it will scare the snot out of you on the highway cause it wanders. Any thoughts ?
Tried to upload the add from craigs list with a picture of the jeep, was unable to do it cause I ahhh a little ignorant on how to do it. But It has about a 4-5 inch lift,36x12,5 tires in decent condition.[ Darn can anybody tell me how to get the darn picture of it here.]
He was asking 6000 for it, has 120,000 miles on it,5 speed manual.

Last edited:
This is interesting . It's been said that the YJ wears better than the CJ which is a shame since my preference , like others , is the CJ. I won't take away any credit from the YJ though. My brother had two . Early '90's they were . Bought and sold them because he got a good deal on them. Square headlights and grille aren't that popular as the CJ or even a TJ but I wouldn't turn one down . Great jeep . Wondering however , why did the price drop sharply ? Guess you bargained for it but why was the owner so willing to go so much lower ? If the chassis and body tub and front clip are in good shape , it's worth it since YJ 's are commanding prices almost as much as some CJ's. If the engine is tight (good compression) and the drivetrain has no major issues then I'd say your not doing too bad except I see a front end rebuild in its future like steering linkage , ball joints and wheel bearings since it's a terror on the road at highway speed. Also, you mentioned stalling in 4LO . So , it idles ok but misses when you push it hard ? Can't hurt to check distributor shaft run out and primary ignition but that's not likely what's up. Sounds like it probably still has the original carburetor ? If it's the YF or YFA or something then it's junk and needs a motorcraft at least . If it's motorcraft or auto lite then it needs a rebuild or replacement. Don't know if you'd be in a position to bargain further or that's the previous owners bottom line price. I know some YJ owners here will feel like you can do better on the price but if the chassis and body is solid , it's hard to argue . Older jeeps seem to be gaining market value every year now and I would hate to see you lose this deal if you feel it can be wiped into shape real quick. I know you can do it yourself so that's a savings right there.
Since your having trouble posting the craigslist ad , can you provide the listing identification number ? Would like to take a peek , maybe theres some detailed pic's ?

Either attach the web link under advanced options.

Or copy the image and paste it in attach photo web link under advanced. Just be sure it ends in .jpg

4-5 in lift done improperly will cause wonder, besides the obvious loose gearbox, cracked frame or failing TRE's just do a dry steering test looking for loose components or evaluate the setup for poor component alignments.

Back