calling all redneck engineers!

ScubaDude

I have two separate small(ish) sheets of steel (About 2'x2'). They are about 2 mm thick (not very, but enough). They are bent at about 10° angles, one just the corner, one down the middle perfectly. I need them to be perfectly flat but I don't have access to any equipment made to bend steel. How would you go about flattening them.

Abandon ship and regroup . Go to sheet metal shop and get what ya want . All depends on where you are going to use it. Pleaseing to the eye. Nope , well there are so many things you can do. Ahhhhhhh Abandon ship on that thought.

Unfortunately the metal has stretched when bent so it will be very difficult to return it to being perfectly flat. I would use a sandbag and try to hammer the metal with a special metal-working hammer, the kind the pros use to shape the metal and shrink it back to normal. I've seen it done, takes a lot of skill.

Here you go. Looks like waaaayyyy to much work for me.

Here's a bit of metal shrinking

I'm sorry but this is wierd, Educational, makes me mind work which is a good thing Ole fellers need that. But what ta f/k are we really talking about here.

Flat, huh, like how flat? With in .003 of an inch, that's the tolerance on a machined motor head.

But ok, for an idea. Get an oxy acetylene torch, with a rosebud on it and get that succer red hot 3 -4" away from where it need's to be flattened at. Have metal flat surface on hand,clamping down with anouther flat surface,"keeping heat constant", clamp togeather.

Then get a dead blow hammer, and whale the $hit out of it. That's my guess.

Hey Scubby, How much money ya got ? I'm intrested in the job .

Haha, if you want to drive all the way out here and do it I'd be willing to feed you for the duration. Lol. It doesn't have to be very flat. Nothing technical will be happening involving the metal. Say I am trying to hang it on my wall for example.

If I can have my face etched into the metal that you are gonna hang on your wall . Hell yeah, when ya want me to come.

Can I have my real name ? That would be marvolous . Probably valuable. I'm really handsome.

Back