2017 Wrangler, new suspension system revealed

Holy smokes! That's a big deal. At first blush I want to say it's a mistake, but at the same time it'll be weird not to have two or three "help, I have death wobble!" threads a week.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) confirmed Friday that the 2017 Wrangler redesign (JL) will remove solid front and rear axles, and replace with independent front suspension.

The move comes, the company explained during a conference call, as increasingly strict Federal fuel regulations forced FCA engineers to seek ways to reduce the Wrangler’s weight.

“This was not a decision we took lightly, nor one we accepted easily,” said Henry Ryder, lead Jeep brand engineer. “We understand the significance of a solid axle vehicle for the Jeep brand. We just could not continue on that path in the current environment.”

Ryder said FCA engineers believe they can shave off nearly 600 pounds by swapping suspension systems and they could not ignore that difference.

Ha ha, it got me too at first and I was mad at what they were doing to the jeep.. But then I noticed the very bottom of the page it said happy April Fools' Day.

Back