Anyone out there daily drive a cj7 or cj5

ShakenBake

Hello I am 16 years old and am planning on buying and daily driving a jeep cj7 with a 304 v8, can anyone give me some tips when buying or if the 304 v8 is a good engine to drive on the road, or should I get a 258 i6 in a cj7?Thx😊

If you plan on driving a cj daily, I would make sure its a dependable one and doesn't need much work. An old cj isn't the best daily driver, they are old and need attention often. It can be done though as I have done it many times, but I also grew up in the cj era and am familiar with them and their engines. I would go 304 over the 258, not much difference in gas mileage and more power. Both are very good engines. If you are daily driving it, I would be more concerned with its drivability than looks, but look at the frame good for rust rot (not surface rust) floor boards, and under the tailgate, look at the body mounts and the floor around them. make sure the 4x4 works, try it out just don't take there word for it.

Where & how long is your commute? As 69jeepcj said reliability is the key! I've driven many a CJ as a DD, but mostly for a short commute & it's been a while. The Jeeps & I were a bit younger then. A good heater is a must because CJs aren't noted for insulation. Soft top for the summer is much nicer even if you just run with no doors.
Good luck in your search & let us know what you end up with.

Thanks guys, I am currently looking at a 1981 cj7 258i6 for $4999 and it has a new motor craft carb new 33 inch tired and rims. I live up in Upper Michigan, so the rust is a big deal (cause of salt on roads) but the frame and steel body are in good shape, little to no rust, I haven't went and gone and checked this thing out yet but by the information I gave, does it sound like a good deal? Thx

Also my dad built a cj7 Frankenstein, which is basically a 1976 Bronco chassis with a cj7 body, and a 5.0 302 v8 motor and it is cool, but we only use it for the woods trail driving up at camp. But my dad knows a lot about the jeep stuff, he also had an xj, so anyway he can help me out when buying one. But he thinks I am a dumbass for buying one of these for a dd and thinks I will have to fix it all the time, but that is the point right? To learn.

image-372163735.jpg

with your dad having built jeeps in the past, I say go for it. seems the knowledge and experience with them is there why not, don't think I would drive it on a vacation trip or anything, lol.

Hello I am 16 years old and am planning on buying and daily driving a jeep cj7 with a 304 v8, can anyone give me some tips when buying or if the 304 v8 is a good engine to drive on the road, or should I get a 258 i6 in a cj7?Thx😊
I have a restored CJ7 from 1976. It has a Novac T5 5 speed and a 4.1 V6 Chevy,dual batteries and bunches more. It is for sale for asking price of $21500.00 You would love it. let me know if you would like to know more. Direct mail is JGug1@aol.com
Jim G

Hello I am 16 years old and am planning on buying and daily driving a jeep cj7 with a 304 v8, can anyone give me some tips when buying or if the 304 v8 is a good engine to drive on the road, or should I get a 258 i6 in a cj7?Thx

You should get a CJ5. CJ7s are too long and not as cool as the shorter CJ5. I drive a CJ5 and also use it as a tractor. Young chicks dig CJ5s not CJ7s. The 304 V8 is excellent on the highway or on dirt. The V8 is cooler than a straight six but chicks don't know or care about that. The straight six will not heat up the floorboards near as bad as a V8 and are a little smoother on the freeway. I get 18 MPG in my stock CJ5 with 304. Engine has had the timing chain replaced and that's it as far as I know. Runs like a top and can drive it anywhere. If you get a cj, do not do a lift. CJ's work perfect the way they came from the factory.

Have fun and choose the right chic. Shop around. ;)

Knuckles

I have a 1986 CJ7 with a 360 . I have also had a 1979 with a 258 6 cyl and a 86 Laredo with a 6 cyl and a 85 with a 6 cyl and a 83 with a 4 cyl . Here's my thoughts on this ...What besides daily driving are you going to be doing the most with ? If your looking for quiet and smooth , the 4 cyl has impressed me the most and if your looking for power and quickness the V 8 is most impressive but when it comes to the all around for what you can do to it with up grades and performance well I like the 6 cyl........ It has a lot of torque and power that to me has been under rated.

You can beef up that 6 cyl to do almost anything, so for my suggestion it would be the 6 cyl sir. Your young enough to enjoy the feel of the open road and be safe and as you drive a jeep and get better familiar with them and how they drive then maybe look to up grade from there . BUT always remember that the jeep is a very light frame body and no matter what power you have under the hood respect the power under the hood. If you have any questions please ask me shag_lee@yahoo.com Im most found down on the sandy beaches of the Texas gulf coast .

Hi ... I have an 83 CJ7, daily driver for many, many years. Has the 258 I6, weber 2bbl carb ... very reliable, even on long trips. When you inspect this '81, look for rust around the body mts, inspect the midsection (under the door) for body-work where the frame may have been bent, take a wheel off and see if brakes have been refreshed, 4WD must work, no question, good oil pressure?, dirty oil underneath - not to worry too much ... Jeeps always leak oil. Lastly, just a caution ... has the Jeep been lifted? Poor lift work will mess with steering stability.

Good luck, Jon

To me a Jeep is a very personal experience. Driven CJs since 1968. My first one was a CJ3 with a 4 cyl. My favorite was a 1968 with a V6. That V6 had torque galore, probably the best combination made. All the rest were 258 straight 6s but I had buddies with V8s. My personal preference has been for the 6 cylinder keeps. I've done a lot of beach driving from the coastal sand dunes on the East Coast to Cabo San Lucas on the West Coast and places in between. For me the V8 Have a lot of power but tend to bury themselves in soft sandy ground. If you plan on staying on the highway then anything goes but I tend to use mine off-road about 70% of the time. For on road I prefer the older land yachts like It 65 Lincoln Continental.

I drove my CJ5 back and forth to work and everywhere in between.. went to Las Vegas from San Francisco many times.. then moved to Denver and drove back and forth to SF from there.. it was a 304 .. proper maintenance and they will run great.. my '78 had a 401 and also ran great, everywhere.. and now I have a 1984 CJ7 258 that will take me everywhere, getting ready to swap the 258 for a 401 tho..

Ok thanks guys, I did get it and it runs good but leaks a little oil after a drive, from the main seal area, or could be a gasket, but all old jeeps leak somewhere right?

Ok thanks guys, I did get it and it runs good but leaks a little oil after a drive, from the main seal area, or could be a gasket, but all old jeeps leak somewhere right?

Old jeeps mark their spots. My wife drive an 81 CJ7 but just on weekends. It has a 6" lift on 37's. I have changed all the steering and it is still requires vigilance to drive. Have fun. Be safe.

congrats on your new purchase! Welcome to the brotherhood. I drove a CJ-5 as a daily driver for 4yrs. Then drove a CJ-8 for a year. The CJ-5 was junk when I bought it, the only reason it hadn't been hauled to the scrap yard was the guy hadn't had a chance to pull the engine and trans. I did a lot of welding on the body and frame (still needs plenty) but I learned a lot about Jeeps and I enjoyed the experience. Life is about experiances ya know. It didn't get great mileage (14 mpg average 304 with small cam}, It didn't ride very good (4inch spring lift, cheap, stiff springs. welded a big chunk of steel in the rear of the tub to help. lol). I could mention other things but everywhere I went I was complemented or questioned about it. It was rusty and rough so I didn't have to baby it and worry over it. It was just fun, I like fun stuff. Good luck and enjoy yours!

Back