Towing: 4-cyl vs 6-cyl

thehemi

I am, quite possibly, a future Jeep buyer.
I was curious w/ any towing experiences.

I own a 4.3L S10 and tow 2 jetskis with it.
I have driven 4-cyl pickups before and it
is obvious that I would never tow w/ one.

Would towing with a Jeep be the same?

PS- I am not getting rid of my S10 when
I get a Jeep. The Jeep is an addition. :)
[addsig]

I have towed with my 4 banger before. Had a 12' single axle trailer with some furniture on it. My jeep pulled it but it was slow going. Max speed was about 55mph and on hills that became about 45mph. That was with the foot to the floor. I certainly don't plan on towing with my jeep again though...just not enough power. At least until I swap that 350 in :-D [addsig]

The two jetskis, w/ trailer, probably weigh 1500#.
I think I will concentrate my efforts to find a 6-cyl.

The short wheelbase of the Jeep would make me
nervous, but that is an entirely different issue. :)
[addsig]

My grandma and grandpa used to have a 16-18 foot motor boat that I pulled with my 89 yj, at some points in time I couldn't go faster than 65, and the boat pulled the jeep around a little bit but other than that it was okay. Oh yea I have a 6. [addsig]

I've got a 92 cherokee with I6.

I've towed a couple of pop-up campers and a snowmobile trailer. It's not problem at all for me. I like the small wheel base easy to back up.

thats my two cents

[addsig]

For work.. i've towed around a billion ton blacktop patch tank... starting out, and stopping is obviously going to be a little different... but then, its the inertia of the tank... anything you pull will have to gain/lose momentum in its travel... That is with my 4.0....

BigBlackJeep has a trailer on which in the winter he drags around a ski-doo mach Z 800 sled... he's got a beat up 4 cyl... and he has to go WAY over a VERY large hill every day, with 32 inch tires on stock gears... of course it has to chug up the hill... but he has no real problems with the jeep itself... nothing has seemed to hurt it yet... and still has the power to blast him through the trails along with my 4.0

either way, you're going to have to deal with the slower take-off and prolonged stops... but as far as getting it to move from one point to another... it will work fine[addsig]

i towed a utility trailer with a 4.0 TJ and had no serious problems. be careful tho, that light little jeep's brakes won't work if you slam them, the trailer just made the tires lock up when i jammed the brakes on. not too fun... if you find a 6 cyl you'll be fine... just be careful!

-nate[addsig]

well.... put in a hemi and ya won't have any towin questions!!!!![addsig]

Back