JK storage solutions?

randomjeeper

Hi all! I'm looking to buy a JK in the next few months :D. I haven't decided between 2dr vs 4dr but something that will be important will be some way to secure my stuff, since I'm leaning towards a soft top. Reality dictates that I have to leave my jeep to go to work, and I also like to shop, etc., so I'm particularly interested in secure cargo space storage solutions, but would be open to some creative ideas (any nifty ideas on how to prevent hang tags from being stolen?). What do you use for storage and any recommendations or products to avoid?
Thanks - rj

Personally I do not leave anything of value in my jeep. People will breaking just to see what you might have and sometimes just for the change in your cup holder. If the want to get in they will.

Having said that.

Tuffy makes some good products. The jeep trunk. Secure console..

Depending on the size of stuff you want to secure there is lots of product. Personally got a Tuff box that goes under the seat. They also make steel glove boxes and center consoles with decent locks. I have also seen a few lock boxes that mount to the roll bars. If you are looking for larger storage they do make metal boxes for behind the rear seat also that allows you to use the gate to access it.

Thanks for the responses :). I will check out Tuffy. Ideally, I wouldn't want to leave things of value, but when running errands it's almost inevitable that I end up stopping at multiple places.

Something like this would be ideal:
https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-299-01...72922709&sr=8-49&keywords=jeep+cargo+security

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-282-01...72922675&sr=8-40&keywords=jeep+cargo+security

If you just want to keep things out of sight then this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/GPCA-Wrangle...472922632&sr=8-1&keywords=jeep+cargo+security

My problem is less with theft, and more with rain. If I leave stuff in my Jeep then it will definitely rain and soak my papers / stuff.

Thanks Terry! I think I'm going to get something similar to the enclosures you posted (if not one of those). For various reasons, I will most likely will end up getting a hard top now and buying a soft top later :(.

I was also thinking about the rain - I park in a garage at home and work so the only problem would be driving to/from (esp if I have a hard top with the freedom panels off). Maybe I'll keep a poncho, a tarp, and bungee cords or something - better than nothing?

I'm a fan of the soft top, especially if you are in a secure location most of the time. I've got a similar setup as you, and leave my top off most of the summer.

I've had hard tops and soft tops, and I've found that once the hard top is on, it's very rarely removed. It takes 2 people (or a hoist) to pull it off, and a good amount of space to store. Don't get me wrong, hard tops are much nicer in the winter, and on the highway, but you loose the chance to drop the top whenever you want.

Having said that, if you find a Jeep with a hard top for about the same price as others, you can always sell the hard top for a pretty penny (some go for around $1K), buy a soft top and put the rest in your pocket.

As far as being caught in the rain. Has happened many times when I had my TJ. Remove carpet remove drain holes. Neoprene seat covers are nice but plastic bags work well also. Most important part is a squegee to clean the inside of the windshield for some reason the wipers don't clean the inside. They do also sell quick covers that strap on to protect it from weather when parked.

Terry - I ended up with a hardtop because that was pretty much the only ones on the lot. I figured the same about once the hard top is on - it's on, but I thought it would be easier to switch to an after market soft top than the other way around. Though I must admit I have already started scheming on how to take it off/where to store it, etc. I park in garages at home and work, so that's helpful. I've seen a few soft tops in the garage at work and spoken to one of the owners about if they've had any trouble, etc.

As for the rain - I started looking at neoprene seat covers but from what I read they are not waterproof - just resistant, so my search continues. If I ever get stuck in the rain, I'll probably go the plastic bag route, tarp, or nearest overhang.
Lol, you just must not have equipped your jeep with the inside wiper option?
I was thinking about the quick covers - maybe not for how they were intended to be used, but I don't want bugs getting into the jeep while it is parked in the garage... the thought of that is terrifying to me...

Back