Any tips for getting duct tape residue off paint?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a pickup that had the rear window broken out. The previous owner used a piece of plywood any a liberal amount of duct tape to fill the hole.

The windows been replaced, but the duct tape goop is still there, and refuses to budge

Heat and rub isopropanol.

Same way to get dealer stickers off.

Charcoal lighter fluid on a rag works very well and won't damage paint. Use warm soapy water (Dish Washing Soap) to wash the lighter fluid off.

I ended up getting this off with a combination of WD-40, a rag, and some beer. Goof off worked well, but I found that it was easiest to just squirt the residue with WD40 every 2 or 3 minutes about 5 times (apply beer in-between) . After letting the WD40 soak in, I was able to use both hands and a rag to get things off pretty easy.

The heat gun probably would have worked well, but I couldn't find it when I went looking.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Beer , it's not just for drinking anymore. It would seem that there are properties found in it that serve more than just as a beverage ? Will have to conduct some conclusive experiments this weekend . May take more than a few just to be sure the results are accurate . :drunk:

This sounds weird but works. Peanut butter works great with no harm done to paint. I just use my hand to rub it on. Rubbing it in good makes it eventually work its way under the edges of the glue. Once this happens it loosens the glue from the outside in. I used it extensively on my rv. Good luck.

Back