Newbie looking for advice

jewelsjeeper

Hello there to all you jeep lovers out there. I am looking to buy my first jeep and looking for suggestions or advice from the many owners here. I am currently on the east coast but will be heading to Colorado next year. There my jeep will be my primary ride and will be used for very light off roading and everyday use. I currently own a mini cooper and am sick to death of the high tech problems that only the mini cooper dealers' certified techs can handle. I want a wrangler that is old enough that anyone at any shop can work on. The repair bills on this mini are eating me out of house and home even though I am someone that is a stickler for keeping all the regular maintenance right on schedule.
Would love to hear your opinions on realiability, longevity, durability, the best years, models to stear clear of etc....

Thanks in advance, Juli

Last edited by a moderator:

I heard mini coopers are $$$ draining. You do know jeep is an acronym for Just Empty Every Pocket. Ha Ha!

Some good reading on what to buy in this forum and others. There are some personal preferences when it comes to models CJ, YJ or TJ... I have a 05 TJ unlimited. Love the extra room and longer wheelbase.

Being in the eastern rust belt check the frame for rust.
Also drive it long enough to get it to temp.
Turn the engine off and on at least 3-4 times letting it cool between starts, to see if it throws a CEL. Check engine light. Drive to lunch, eat and go back wait 40 min or so and start it again.

TJs have their issues but 03-06 have most of the engine is deputes worked out. Exhaust headers that do not crack like earlier models including YJs.
There are issues with the oil drive pump assembly design causing wear out early. Doorman makes a successful replacement. TJs also are prone to death wobble due to alignment and worn parts. YJs are less prone to it being leaf spring. But leafs do not ride as nice as coil. Springs.

Overall allTJ and YJ issues are documented well in many forums. Well enough you could do it yourself.

Last edited:
I agree with Jpninpa watch the frames for rot. Specifically near the rear tire where the frame starts to curve up around the axel. A little less rot in the 98 and newer because they started undercoating the frames. Personally I had a 97 with 2.5l and it ran great never gave me problem. Only issues I had where normal. Water pump had to be replaced. $45 and 3 hours later it was fixed. Other than that it was all rust issues I had.

Thank you for the info. I will definitely keep it in mind when out shopping around. I have been reading as much as I can find to try to educate myself before making a purchase but the amount of info out there is a bit overwhelming. I have ALOT to learn.

That Jeep looks OK to me. Bring a towel or something and lie on the ground under it looking for rust on the frame.
Take the Jeep on the road, and keep it around 50mph or so and try to hit a bump and see if you get any death wobble.

That Jeep looks OK to me. Bring a towel or something and lie on the ground under it looking for rust on the frame. Take the Jeep on the road, and keep it around 50mph or so and try to hit a bump and see if you get any death wobble.

65 typically for DW. A bump on a curve is best. Be sure to wear a diaper before attempting.

Thanks for the advice. Took it for a ride, no wobble or vibration of any kind. Frame super clean, even floorboards on inside completely rust free, ac doesnt blow cold air but fan is strong. Not concerned about that. It has never been off road or bogging which is super popular in this area. Was owned by a very nice man that had bought it for his daughter to drive until she went off to college. It has been very well taken care of. I had a friend that is an awesome mechanic go with me to look at it. He said it was in great
shape and that the engine sounded great. I dont think I will find a better deal.

If the price is right, and your confident in it's quality, buy it. No vehicle lasts forever but the memories of wheeling Colorado will. Buy it, enjoy it, don't forget to stay on trails only and 4 wheel it a lot. Crap will break, you fix it and move on. If you really get hooked, maybe move on to something else at a later date, of build the one you have. I've had several Jeeps throughout the years.

Well....I am now the proud owner of this sweet 98 tj. Very excited to start some personalizing and enjoying riding around with the top off in the finally cooling temps here in the SE. Will be heading to Colorful Colorado next spring.

Thanks for all the advice. I took it all very seriously

Juli

20160915_192740.jpg

Congratulations Juli, nice Jeep ! I love the half doors and the Jeep looks like new in the pic. I hope it gives you years of fond memories that you can never get in a car. I was on Fordyce Creek trail last weekend and the weekend before and we are making new memories all the time. Don't forget to post up pics. of your adventures !

Thanks dwillys. Loving it so far. Its a whole new experience just to ride around in it. Once I get to Colorado am hoping to hook up with other enthusiasts to do some trail riding with. Cant wait!

If you are using it as a daily a driver a little trick to adjust the ride quality is air pressure. I never thought it would matter but bit does in a Jeep. 1 lb of air either way will make it rider softer or harder.

Hello there to all you jeep lovers out there. I am looking to buy my first jeep and looking for suggestions or advice from the many owners here. I am currently on the east coast but will be heading to Colorado next year. There my jeep will be my primary ride and will be used for very light off roading and everyday use. I currently own a mini cooper and am sick to death of the high tech problems that only the mini cooper dealers' certified techs can handle. I want a wrangler that is old enough that anyone at any shop can work on. The repair bills on this mini are eating me out of house and home even though I am someone that is a stickler for keeping all the regular maintenance right on schedule.
Would love to hear your opinions on realiability, longevity, durability, the best years, models to stear clear of etc....

Thanks in advance, Juli

Can't go wrong with a Wrangler. Had a 2007 and loved her. I now have a 2014 Trailhawk. Would love a newer year to get all the new bells and whistles and ability for small lift. If you are headed to Colorado Springs, 4 Wheel Parts is a great place for maintenance. The folks there might be able to turn you onto a good Jeep too. If looking for new Perkins Jeep is who sent me my Trailhawk. We aren't in COS anymore, but great Jeep place. 4 Wheel Parts also does off road events with the local Jeep clubs.

Back