Anyone have Amazon Echo / Google home?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on the fence trying to decide between Amazon Echo and Google home. Most of the reviews I see say that Google is better. I'd want my kids to be able to use it, so I like the idea of not ordering stuff with it.

Let us know how you like it. It is probably pretty similar to the Echo which we have had for awhile now. We also just ordered the smaller version of it for my daughter to use upstairs but it has to connect to external speakers. We use it mostly for checking the weather, the time, setting timers or streaming music. I know there is a lot more we could be doing but haven't explored those options yet.

Kids just bought us the Google Home, and the downsides are it only works with a one Google account, occasionally it responds to the TV (especially the Google Home commercial), and to get it to interact more completely you may need to install other apps and do some "programming," ie; the app IFTTT. That being said, I think the single account issue affects the Echo as well. Other than those things mentioned, we do have fun with it, although we don't use it as much as our kids. Our one boy got some of the Hue bulbs at that is pretty cool! Expensive, but cool!

Sent from my XT1650 using Jeepz.com mobile app

I ended up with the Google home, and I'm pretty happy. I think that google will fix the single account thing. I'd also really like to have a better grocery list - from what I understand I can maintain one on the home itself, but can't send it to a phone.

I was surprised to find that my Amazon Fire TV (a device I love), also has Alexa built in, so I'm able to play with both devices.

That's awesome, thanks for the tip. Right now it's linked to my wife's google account, so I'll get her to install keep.

Ask Alexa to sing you a song. It's pretty funny.

It's been a couple months with Google Home, and I'm pretty happy with it. I use it all the time for news, and to play music. The kids even use it quite a bit.

I read that, but haven't taken the time to set it up. I'll give it a go tomorrow night

Back