Looking to buy a jeep!

Cvriv

Hello. I'm new to this forum and new to jeeps. I'm actually looking to buy some kind of 4x4 vehicle. I really want to buy a 4x4 pick with a manual transmission, but there's so few that are nice and within my price range:( There's so many jeeps though!

One thing I noticed about a lot of the jeeps that i've seen online is that many of them had a lot of stuff replaced/ rebuilt! I don't mean after market stuff either. I mean motors replaced or rebuilt, transmissions, etc. Not that is a problem, it's just that many of the jeeps dont have all that many miles on them to warrant rebuilds or replacements. I used to own a 2000 tacoma and drove it to nearly 300000 without having to do anything major on it. Im worried the jeeps might not be all that reliable? Am I wrong?

Now i know that a lot of jeep owners drive them the way jeeps are suppose to be driven, off road and rough. Could that be why? If someone was to do no offroading and took care if it properly, do they last?

What are some things that i should look out for when buying a jeep? I look for rust, anything that looks bent out or weird looking out of shape, leaking oil or splattered oil,... Whatelse?

Im eyeballing a 2001 TJ with 140k miles on it. It looks real nice in the pics. The owner said thats it runs great, virually no rust, never driven offroad, and interior is in great shape. Says the only thing is that the starter needs to be replaced soon. Tires are brand new, lifted 4"( doesnt say whether is a body or suspension lift).

Give me some pointers. Do these jeeps have a timing belt or a chain?

Thanks in advance.

As far as motor lasting it just depends on the Jeep and how it was taking care of. I had a 97 with a 2.5 L with 160k miles only problems I had was steering box leaked..common problem for the year. I replaced the water pump at 150k and the oil pressure sensor went bad.. Rust and rot is the main issue depending on where the Jeep has been and if it was taken care of. The main issue with rot in a TJ is the frame. Look around the rear axle where the frame bends there is a factory hole in the frame. That section is common to rot out.

The big difference between a Jeep and any other 4 wheel drive is Jeep is a life style not just transportation. You will find yourself talking to strangers and checking out almost every Jeep you see. Can't say that about any other vehicle with the exception of bikes.

Happy hunting and good luck

Sent from my VS880 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Ok thanks. This is a secondary vehicle for me. So i'm not 100% dependant on it. Its just that i can only do sobmuchbof the work myself because i dont have a garage to do it in. Id have to oay someone to do major work on it. I dont really plan on off roading it to much if any at all. My thing is snow... I like driving through snow. Hopefully we get some snow this year.

I definitely dont want a rotted out jeep. The owner says there isnt any but i cant believe that. So i will get under there and check, especially where you mentioned. Ill google where else to look for rot. Thanks.

Oh the horror. I googled TJ rust and holy hell. Ive seen that on my 2001 tacoma. The chances that all TJ of those years having rust is pretty good. What am I to do. I guess ill go see this jeep and ill bring a small tack hammer with me to tap on the frame some. What the hell is wrong with Jeep that they have all those holes in the frames and have no drain holes?

I know the feeling of not having a garage or the proper tools. Nice thing about a Jeep is there are tons of clubs and just tons of dedicated Jeepers that are willing to help. The club near me we have changed a couple frames over the years in back yards. Cost of the owner for the help is usually lunch and beer.

Rust! Well I've got a 94 yj in fine shape with very little rust. Has 160,000 miles on it, runs great. Ya just gotta shop around, sometimes we get lucky.

There are lots of 4x4 vehicles out there, but not all are Jeeps. But most 4x4 vehicles at some point compare themselves to Jeep because Jeep pretty much sets the standard for 4x4 vehicles. Sure, some vehicles optimize a factor like quiet ride or low CG or good mileage, but all of those factors detract for one of the variables that make the Jeep the standard of the industry.

A Jeep won't haul as much staff as a 4x4 F150, but a Jeep can go a whole lot more places than the F150. A Jeep can't take the curvy roads like a AWD BMW, but the BMW fails in snow more than a few inches deep.

Getting old and never having owned a Jeep means a life with someting missing. My suggestion is to shop around and find a Jeep and enjoy it for some time and get to known the Jeep lifestyle You will either love it it hate it. If you love it, you're set with the Jeep. If you don't, then sell the Jeep for most likely what you paid for it.

Rust can be a problem, so look carefully in the corners and in the wheel wells. The Inline 6 cylinder engines are long lived and low maintenance, so 100,000 miles is just a young adult with lots of life left. And Jeeps are pretty easy to work on with plenty of room under the hood.

Post pics when you get one.

Well, there's one jeep im looking to see in person. If its pretty rust free as the owner says... Ill buy it. If not i might just buy a Tacoma. Many of the used Tacomas have new updated frames. Thengines in those trucks last a long time as well. They dont do as well in the snow as Jeeps do, but Tacomas can Haul stuff around.

The only thing missing in my life is a 4x4. That's it.

Trust me you can haul stuff in a Jeep... I have brought home 2 doors and a screen door stood up and strapped the sport bar

Lol, try getting stuff hauled around on a moped, It's amazing what we can do. Though some folks would think we need to get our head examined.

Last edited:

Get a Jeep... dont even think about it. Weather or not i can get to work in my Jeep 4.0 l straigt six rules.

Here ya go, Cvriv . . . not all Jeeps have been "Ridden Hard and Put Away Wet" as you describe.
Here's one that has lived a very "privileged" life.
Good Luck and keep searching.
PICT0006.JPG

Back