Help me design a new Jeep! (student of automotive design)

Dana

Hi everyone,
My name is Dana and I'm an Automotive Design student from Italy.
We got an assignment to plan a new model for Jeep, and since I never had an off-road vehicle I would really like to hear from the people here what features you'd like to have if you were considering purchasing a new model, or what features in the vehicle would make you want to have it.
The vehicle is aimed for young families, parents with kids who love off-road experiences.
If you have any thoughts of what would you like to see in the next model please share! And please go as far as you wish with your imagination (except for flying cars, I'd say that's the limit...)

Thanks in advance,
Dana

You need some field research. Or own one. You just will not fully comprehend what jeep really is until you live it.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

You need some field research. Or own one. You just will not fully comprehend what jeep really is until you live it.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Hi,
I am doing my research, this is a part of it :)
I've read all about the history from the first model to the last, I've watched a documentary about the history of Jeep, I might not fully understand the essence of Jeep but exactly from this reason I came here to ask owners and enthusiasts because this is the closest I could get to understanding it.
Unfortunately being a designer does not mean you will get a free car in order to project a new one, and I'm trying to get as close as I can to understand what the passionates of that brand would want to see in a new model.
I understood (as much as I can, not having a Jeep myself) what it is people love about it, but in the future things will change and the car will not remain *exactly* the same, so I thought it would be best to hear what it is that people WOULD like to see changing.
For example, I don't think real enthusiasts of Jeep like the Renegade and I wouldn't want to project a model similar to it.

Thank you for your answer!
Dana

I think what I would like to see is a return to the basics. A do anything, go anywhere, unstoppable, durable Jeep. Something with minimal electronics, waterproof interior, rubber floor mats and smaller than the current Jeep Wrangler. Must have that open air feeling and 7 slats on the front grill but other than that, go wild. Good luck with your project.

Ok. Then ditto on south tj only adding highback back seat with seat belt harness keeping rear passengers from being thrown out the back/side.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

The elimination of the plastic parts such as bumpers and fender flares.They should be metal. Must have the aero dynamics of a brick. Axels a little closer to the bumper for better approach angles. If you are doing a JKU that's a 4 door model the rear doors are a little small. So is the axel is pushed back the door wouldn't have to follow the wheel well as much making it a little easier to get in and out.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

Thank you guys a lot!
I really appreciate all the answers, it helps me know in which direction I should go and avoid creating something useless.

Like others here have mentioned, I would like something simple - as in no backup camera (although that's a federal law now right?), no navigation, no power windows, power seats, no power mirrors, etc.

Having said that, I think that if I designed the new Wrangler, it would only sell one (to me).

Like others here have mentioned, I would like something simple - as in no backup camera (although that's a federal law now right?), no navigation, no power windows, power seats, no power mirrors, etc.

Having said that, I think that if I designed the new Wrangler, it would only sell one (to me).
When did the fedral law with back cameras come into place? I just looked at 2017 wrangler it didn't have one.

I think they will be mandatory starting with the 2018 model vehicles.
Yes I googled it. May of 2018 most vehicles will have to have them. Personally I have one in my work can and it's about useless. I clean the camera drive 40 miles down the highway goto back into a spot and can't see because it's filthy all ready.

Thank you Dana for choosing jeepz.com for your research feedback ! Welcome and grazie !
I agree that simplicity is key . We like jeeps to be simple and down to earth , user friendly and easy to repair , if at all possible in today's word of technology . What we would like most is to keep the jeep , a jeep . It was meant to be an on road and off road vehicle . Although we appreciate the effort of manufacturing to be a sort of all in one vehicle , we still would like our jeep to serve us for its intended purpose , off road capable and still serve us on streets and highways . We realize that's a tall order but we know in today's world , it can be done . Rather than cater to a class that only travels on road , we would like to know the jeep can still travel on and off road as it always has . I think a look at previous model years and their builds with popularity and sales taken into consideration , that is what the focus of design should be . Of course the will always be model select and option favor but we still believe has its purpose and place . It was never meant to be a luxury vehicle but an all terrain. As long as that is the thought never forgotten in design , the attention to build will be a compromise of new and old . Those are my thoughts as I've always believed what a jeep should be . Collectively, the wide consensus by all shall be the deciding vote. Best of luck to you and your project as we hope the future of the jeep will be a happy and long lived one ! Grazie !

When did the fedral law with back cameras come into place? I just looked at 2017 wrangler it didn't have one.

Hey make those cameras directional so they could be used to pick a line or see how close you are to rubbing the tummy and I call it good.

Hey XT all that snow melt yet?

Hey Greg - Long time, no see

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Hey make those cameras directional so they could be used to pick a line or see how close you are to rubbing the tummy and I call it good.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
Yeah snow is gone. Took a week. But after the storm temp went up to 60 and we had 2 inches of rain in less than 24 hours.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
Yes sir , sure has . With these new scattered work hours and unpredictable overtime , I sure could use a secretary to keep up ! Wrenching weather is finally here , now it's time to make $ !

Back