YJ vs TJ

I have 2 YJ's both with 4cyl. I'm thinking about replacing one with a 6cyl that has AC. Would you stay with the YJ's or consider a TJ as the price difference is not that wide.
Which one & why?

Depends what your going to use it for? If money didn't matter I would have a brand new Rubicon but I got the yj cause it is cheaper and easier to modify. Personally I think the yj will take more abuse but the tj is a better built machine than I originally credited it for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TJ runs a higher risk of death wobble. YJ is cheaper and easier to modify. A lot has to do with your intended use.

Both TJ I have had where both 4 cylinder so I look for a stick to have the 4:10 gears.

My wives JKU is an automatic and love it for vacation and stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Jeepz.com mobile app

Pros and Cons with each. Find a good deal and jump on it...less worry YJ vs TJ.

If you can swing a Rubicon, that is the way to go. To build a non Rubicon into a Jeep with Rubicon capabilities is very expensive.

Ive Had a CJ, YJ, and my current TJ. I definitely love the TJ the most, but depending on budget, you may want to opt for the CJ or YJ. The TJ I would say is a way better built machine, it has awesome on road and off road capabilities compare to the others, but it is more expensive to maintain IMO. If you are looking for a strict wheeler, then I would opt for the CJ as most junk yards have many available, and you arent going to care if you smash it up a bit. My TJ has outlasted my other two, so far by 260k miles.

All in all the TJ is going to be the best riding with a solid build, while it is great for off roading, the expenses will eventually drain you more than a CJ or YJ. I will say no matter what, get a 4.0 engine, they are solid and can take a huge beating. I would stay away from the 04-06 models though, due to the oil pump system being wonky.

I'd say that fuel injection, and a smooth running Jeep is more important that the model. I've owned a CJ and YJ with carbs on them, and it was a yearly dance to clean the carbs and keep it running - it would usually die out when trying to offroad (I rigged a hand throttle to try to keep it running).

After switching to a smooth running TJ it's so much better.

So get a TJ or 91+ YJ, just ditch the carb.

I forgot to mention, If you are replacing the engine, look into the 4BT cummins diesel....A buddy did it to his 93 and it ran like a raped ape

Back