First wrangler advice needed

ckmc14

I am looking to buy my first used wrangler as a recreational vehicle & I am hoping to tap into your experience so I do not do something stupid like buy the cheapest one I see only to end up spending much more in the long run.

-Purpose: driving around town and to the beach, (flat) backwoods trails, & once/year I will off-road at Jeeptoberfest in Ocala
-Requirements: 4x4 and 6 cylinders, roll bar in back (so, 91+ YJ), rear seat (for the kids)
-Looking for: most reliable/headache free option that will fit into a first-timers budget, which I've set at $8k.

I also prefer to not have to worry about the interior getting dirty or wet. All I need is an am/fm radio with the option to upgrade the sound system for fun if I ever choose to do so

I am hoping to learn how to work on the jeep but by no means am I experienced in doing so. Getting a non-running jeep to run will not be something I can pull off. I can easily take care of wiring, lights, sound systems, seats, bumpers, side rails, racks, bars and things like that.

Any insight appreciated!

OK you want a YJ @1987 to @1995.

me I would look for 1992 on - better diagnostic computers, also newer DAH- I agree 6cyl, that 4.0L is legendary a good choice. Now manual or automatic. you want STOCK easier to figure out issues without some ones tinkering and then the search begins.

Ocala Fla? watch for flood vehicles esp after storm

Manual for sure. Thanks for the advice. I'm narrowing it down to YJ post 91. Was never a fan of the square lights but after driving a friends for a while I've been impressed.

My my true love is a Scrambler but not sure that's a good first for me. In due time.

2004-2006 TJ or TJ unlimited.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

LJ may be my top wrangler pick - but the budget may not allow.
I feel that the YJ is less maintenance and therefore less costly than jeeps that come after the YJ years. Am I wrong there?

Thanks.

The 04-06 in my opinion have the best 6cyl engine. Fixed exhaust manifold cracking. No 0331 head that might crack. The only issue needing to be addressed is swapping the stock ODPA with a new Dorman one. The coil spring ride is nice and there are still a large aftermarket for parts.

Round headlights :p

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back