Grinding sound on turn

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
This is on my wife's 2006 Honda Pilot, so it's not a Jeep :scratch:

Whenever she makes a fairly sharp turn in the Pilot it makes a metal on metal scraping sound. I've heard it on the highway while cornering, and while turning around in my cul-de-sac. I've searched under the truck, and can't see any problem there.

What do you guys think it could be? Maybe wheel bearings?

this is often (noise turns) a CV joint issue.

But working noises in the forums is all guessing

wheel bearings will make a sound turning one way. If its your right bearing it makes sound turning left because the weight is transferred to the outside.

Had a CRV wheel bearing go bad. Pretty much a constant sound. Check or just replace the fluid in the rear. Other than that make sure the rotors are flat against the hub area oxidation between the aluminum wheel and mounting surface is enough to cause issues. Also be sure the little springs are on the pads to separate the pads.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Any luck?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Ive have worked on plenty of Hondas, Most of the time it is related to the CV axles being bad, usually where it goes into the transmission housing. I have seen a few that had incorrect brakes install that made a grind. Jack it up, secure it at the lift points and move the wheel side to side and front to back in order to pin point. If CV axles are really bad, youll see it easily. I will say I did work on an odyssey that had a front grind coming from the frame and a trailing arm, both due to age and wear.

Well, it appears that Jeepernaut was right - it was the driver side CV axle. I replaced it for about $60 in parts and the sound is gone. It wasn't too difficult of a job either.

Back