2006 liberty front end noise

james23912

Hi, new here, I'm not a crackerjack mechanic, I have an 06 Liberty that is making kind of a roaring noise from the front, sounds like it's in 4 wheel only louder, noise gets louder as speed increases, I have new tires and changed a bad rear u joint and also changed the left wheel bearing, to no avail, so I took out the front driveshaft thinking it might make the noise stop but it didn't. Fluids are okay and CV joints look fine and make no noise on tight turns. Rear joint on front driveshaft is shot and I'll have to replace that later but for now I am stumped about the noise, the wheel bearings seemed fine, no play but my wife's friend insisted that was the problem, so i did the left one, I can still change the right side one but I doubt that is the problem, any ideas? I don't want to just keep changing parts. Hoping it's not the differential Thanks, Jim

All fixed!!! Just finished changing the other bearing and she makes no noise. I guess I learned something as there was almost no play in the wheel.

Next question is, I removed the front drive shaft and the rear CV joint is shot, how do I measure for a new one?

Thanks so much, glad I came here !!!

What are you measuring?
see attachment part # there. Only 1 size is shown.

OR bring your vin # to dealer for ID'ing part numbers...

Attachments

• driveshafts.JPG
    driveshafts.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 364
You could just replace the CV Joint, you do not have to replace the entire shaft. Is the shaft itself damaged or bent?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
You could just replace the CV Joint, you do. It have to replace the entire shaft. Is the shaft itself damaged or bent?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Hi- I measured from the screw holes and it matches one of the four sizes I found online. It is only the CV joint, I have never replaced one, the whole unit itself goes for 100 bucks, thanks for the inout, I'll look into doing just the CV

Back